Hog vision

1gr8bldr

I set up 5 stands in the last few weeks for hog hunting. Will soon be putting them to use. I was wondering if hogs can see you draw your bow. Drawing with lots of deer eyes around is hard.... but wondering if hogs are the same. Always heard they could not see????

PURVIS

Hogs have very poor night vision you shine a light across a field at night and their eyes don't shine like a deer or dogs its their nose you have to worry about most hunted hog test the wind well at a feeding sight.we walk the dogs to within 30 yds in a open field at night with the wind right they just keep rooting away.good luck

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Feral hogs don't have near as sharp of vision as deer. Especially at a distance. If you avoid quick movements, you can often sneak up within bow range of them in an open food plot. Move slow, and you can get away with a lot.

Their nose, on the other hand, is phenomenal. I think they will smell you quicker than a deer will. And they don't stomp and blow when they wind you-they haul butt.

RogerH

Here is a question to add to this:
does being 15 feet up in a stand help keep them from smelling you? I have been hunting on the ground, but I'm thinking about adding a stand.