Anybody Hunt All Catahoulas?

Louis843

Anybody hunt nothing but catahoulas? I'd appreciate somebody giving me some pros and cons of having a single breed pack...such a 4+ catahoulas. Seen them hunt plenty with other cur and crossed bred dogs...but never seen them work together in a pack without interference. Thanks fellas

buddylee

Most folks hunt what they like regardless of breed. Most cats are bred for the pen or for looks.

dtala

Most of the folks I hunt with in Al use Cats, and they sure as heck ain't bred for looks. Or a pen. Ugly, hard huntin dogs.

arrendale8105

My pack is all cats and a pit catchdog. No particular reason but when I started that's what I started with and love them. Now like any breed there's good and bad you just have to weed out the bad. I also hunt with guys with other breeds and crossed up dogs and they're jam up too but I'm just fond of my cats.

MULE

If your going to breed them it would be in your best interest to stick with one breed. The reason most folks have different dogs is they cant find what they want within one breed, or dont know how to train them. They just go on what the dog does naturally and if it doesnt they move on to the next one. There are good ones and bad ones in all the breeds. All my curs are registered cats, and hunt out further than most folks like, so you can find them that hunt.

HOGDOG76

Cats suck! Get you a nice mixed up mutt with some hog hunters name attached to the bloodline. Confirmation means nothing in good dogs and who needs a hundred years of selective breeding. Obviously all these purebred breeders are idiots when everyone knows all you have to do is cross a pit,birddog, and a hound and the pup will have the hound nose,pit bite and birddog hunt everytime............

thomas gose

Cats suck! Get you a nice mixed up mutt with some hog hunters name attached to the bloodline. Confirmation means nothing in good dogs and who needs a hundred years of selective breeding. Obviously all these purebred breeders are idiots when everyone knows all you have to do is cross a pit,birddog, and a hound and the pup will have the hound nose,pit bite and birddog hunt everytime............
:rofl::rofl:

Scrapy

Banned
when everyone knows all you have to do is cross a pit,birddog, and a hound and the pup will have the hound nose,pit bite and birddog hunt everytime............
That was the formula for dogs that would tree back in my early days 1/4 bird, 1/4 bull and 1/2 hound. And the Hound was likely a fox dog or deer dog that did not tree. Was not known to bay or catch either even after all that crossbreeding was done. But they at least, about 25% would tree some and not chase off on fast game or hogs too bad. So that was the formula. Back then that formula beat any of the above combinations if you were looking for a tree dog. REMEMBER, THE POPULARITY OF THE COONSKINCOAT 1920's COLLEGE BOY DAYS WERE OVER AND COONDOGS WERE practically nonexistent around here by the late "40s. People started over with that formula and some even put in some Air dale, . Everybody had hog dogs back then, all you had to say was siccum and the porchdog would grab a holt even if you wanted a particular rooster for supper. That formula today, just to me mind you, means dogs that will hold a pig but not a boar. Means either hunt from under your feet or get gone lost and be silent from the bull/bird side. And about half won't do anything at all . But that is just my experience. The good thing is that about 10% of them might get treed out on an island somewhere while you are hog hunting.,

Last edited:

sghoghunter

Whatever y'all guys do don't get any mix breed mutts cause they stay under ya feet all day and have to drag them from under the truck everytime you want to move

Latest posts