264 win mag

WildcatHunter

who has one and how hard is it to get supplies for reloading?

Dub

Been seeing more rifles in this. Saw that the Sendero II's were chambering a round in this....sounds sweet.

I wonder how much of a barrel burner it is?

WTM45

Dub, the .264WM is really no more a "barrel-burner" than a 7mmRM or any other belted mag. Of course shooting any magnum rapid fire over a prarie dog town will erode the throat. That's a part of how the .264WM got the stigma.

There is a lot of flexibility in loading a .264WM. It is a fantastic caliber that got overshadowed by the 7mmRM. It has an excellent trajectory and the 6.5 bullets are known penetrators with high SD and BC.

Hammack

The 264 is my personal favorite cartridge. I have three. My last a custom I built using a model 70 action with a 28"shilen barrel, and a hogue stock. It is a great rifle. My first 264 was a winchester, and I got approximately 2000 rounds thru it before I rebarreled it. There isn't anything hard about getting components. Mine likes H1000 and 140gr Hornady SST's for deer, and have even loaded some 85gr loads @ 3700 fps for plinking in the off season. Recoil is manageable and has an effective range as far as anyone in Georgia will ever shoot. As WTM stated the cartridge was overshadowed by the 7mag. (made from taking a 264 case and necking it up to 7mm) If I had to pick one rifle it would be a 264 win mag.

butterbean7008

My buddy reloads for his and mine. In fact he has a custom job using a 700 action and douglad barrel. He also has a bull berry barrel for his encore. My uncle had a custom made off a sako action. I just have a winchester model 70. I can't remember the load off the top of my head but I shoot the 120 grain barnes x.

dgr416

I always wanted a 264 win mag and bought two stainless Ruger model 77s.If you can find a 264 with a 26" barrel get it.The 24" is about 200 feet per second slower .Mine have 24 inch barrels.If you use 140 gr bullets or heavier the barrel will last alot longer.I use 155 gr lapula mega tip bullets.They are super accurate 3/8" at 100 yard groups.The throat on my rifle is short for factory ammo so unless its the remington 140 gr corelocks or 140 gr winchester I have to deep seat it.I will have my throat on my gun lengthened one day.I shot two pronghorns at 350 yards and it fliped them in their tracks.The lapula bullets dont tear up much meat either.I shot a 275 pound 8 pointer at 15 yards and it killed him in his tracks.You can neck down 7 mm rem mag brass for 264 win mag brass.This makes it cheap to reload the 264.I can load the 140 gr remingtons bought from Midwayusa.com for about $5 a box from formed 7 mm rem mag brass I buy at a range for .08 each.Its easy to reload.You can get about 5 shots per case.I am glad I bought my 264s and wish I had bought one a long time ago.Remington just made a run of model 700 remintons with 26" barrels.Get a stainless one and the barrel will last alot longer with the 264.If you use 140 gr bullets or heavier the barrel will last from 1500-2000 shots if you dont shoot it too fast between shots.Its a fine long range deer and pronghorn gun.

grouper sandwich

I buddy of mine offered me a 264 barrel, NIB, free of charge. His father-in-law bought it to build a rifle with and never got around to it. Maybe I'll take him up on his offer and build a 264wm.

Hammack

The throat on my rifle is short for factory ammo so unless its the remington 140 gr corelocks or 140 gr winchester I have to deep seat it.

It's not just your rifle almost all 264 win mags have a short throat. This is because winchester originally designed the rifle to use a two diameter bullet (the forward shank of the bullet was smaller, and rode on top of the lands while the back section was the normal diameter.) They did this to gain velocity. If you intend to reload then you would be better off have the throat lengthened. to avoid jamming the bullet in the rifling and increasing pressure dramatically or having to deep seat the bullet.

7x57, I guess you read my typo. It should have read 2000 rounds before rebarrel. I have now edited it.

~Jackson

Buzz

I was just making sure Hammack, at first I was thinking wow! The .264 Win Mag has always interested me, but I've not built a rifle in it yet. I've thought several times about having a Krieger tube screwed on my Remington 700 in 7mm RM, but each time I get close to pulling the trigger something else catches my eye.

WTM45

I was just making sure Hammack, at first I was thinking wow! The .264 Win Mag has always interested me, but I've not built a rifle in it yet. I've thought several times about having a Krieger tube screwed on my Remington 700 in 7mm RM, but each time I get close to pulling the trigger something else catches my eye.

Do it. The rest of your rifle collection will get a long, well deserved vacation from use if you do!:bounce:

dgr416

Thyere are a few of the Remington 26" barrel cdl 264s on gunbroker now for $850-950 and a few senderos.If you use it in the stand I would buy the sendero if you are going to carry it alot but the stainless cdl.The sendero is very accurate.I do want to try the 160 gr woodleigh bullets.They have good bc and sd .If you keep your 264 barrel clean and not to hot it will last you from now on.Its not the gun to take prarrie dog hunting that will burn out a barrel quick.Save a 22-250 for that job.I am very glad I got my 264 Rugers they only made about 250 of them.There is rumor that the hawkeye will be made in a short run of 264.The word is if you find a good 264 for a decient price buy it they dont hang around long.

Dub

Those new style Senderos are serious drool producing material. I love the feel of the new palm swell.

I've got to turn away....turn away.....resist the urge, etc.

WTM45

Those new style Senderos are serious drool producing material. I love the feel of the new palm swell.

I've got to turn away....turn away.....resist the urge, etc.

Oh, they ARE sweet! How I want one..........:banginghe

Dub

Haven't priced one...but bet it'd set a fella back a cool grand.

Another rifle that I've lusted over was the Ruger target model in .25-06 like Delton and Jimmy78 own.

I picked one up at a gunshop the other day and struggled more than a good bit when handing it back. That gun was singing to me....take me home....take me home. The brown laminated stock with the target grey finish looked smashing....the curves and feel of that stock were dead on for me.....stock just welded up to my cheek..........dangitman....I'm getting all giddy again just thinking about it.

Whew....had to stop that train of thought....there would be another expensive undertaking that I can ill afford right now.

Hammack

I do want to try the 160 gr woodleigh bullets.They have good bc and sd .

I've shot about every load there is in a 264, and the 140gr is yet to be beat. I use either the Sierra Game kings, or recently the hornady SST's I will say that with the 140's I have shot deer from 15 yards to over 600 yards. I haven't had one yet that didn't exit the deer. I just never saw the point in the 160's but to each his own.

O-Country

I have one in a rem 700 classic that I got flusterated with about 3 years ago and have not had it back out.What are some of the better loads that ya'll have worked up for the 264.I was trying to load it to 130's but would never get a good group so I put it up.Had it checked by a smith and he said that the throat and riffleing looked good so I am ready to reload to it again.
Thanks Daryl

Hammack

Honestly none of my rifles are real particular about powder. My best load in my hunting rifle uses H1000, and 140gr. Hornady SST's I have also had good luck with IMR 7828 using the 120's and 130's. Most any of the slower burning powders work better. you may just have to play with a couple to find one the rifle likes.