New Academy Sports on the way!

GusGus

Theres an Academy in Gadsden, AL.

Oldstick

You will enjoy Academy I quit shopping At BPS in Macon and go a little further to get to academy . There prices are so much lower. Great customer service also.

All true.

But be a little cautious at the current Academy location. Broad daytime is probably OK, but it definitely is pretty near to gangstaville in the current location.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
I guess the demographics in Snellville have finally degraded to a point that they will build there. Seems they always have Academy Sports in the worst areas. I use to enjoy going to the one in Macon when I was down that way, but now I won't even go to that side of town. The one in Athens is a little better, but still not in the high rent district.

Troutman3000

I guess the demographics in Snellville have finally degraded to a point that they will build there. Seems they always have Academy Sports in the worst areas. I use to enjoy going to the one in Macon when I was down that way, but now I won't even go to that side of town. The one in Athens is a little better, but still not in the high rent district.

Really? Or maybe it has to do with the fact that there are 80-90k cars each way (north and south) a day on Highway 124. Thats probably it:crazy:. Im not sure a major retailer would locate in an area with poor demographics. Poor people dont spend money on luxury items, not exactly sure what you are trying to say?

The peice of property that Academy is locating on is in the middle of a very robust business district.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Really? Or maybe it has to do with the fact that there are 80-90k cars each way (north and south) a day on Highway 124. Thats probably it:crazy:. Im not sure a major retailer would locate in an area with poor demographics. Poor people dont spend money on luxury items, not exactly sure what you are trying to say?

The peice of property that Academy is locating on is in the middle of a very robust business district.

I am fully aware of the demographics of Snellville. I lived there since 1970 and moved away from the change in scenery 3 years ago. Just ask the retailers that pulled out of the Avenues a mile or two up the road how the demographics have changed.;)

Numbers in population and traffic do not equate to prime income earners in demographics.Why didn't SA choose instead to build over on Hwy 20 between Grayson and Loganville where the traffic is equivelant but the demographics are better and future growth is on the incline, instead of decline? Or on Hwy 78 between Loganville & Monroe? or even between Snellville & Loganville? I can think of many better locations with future growth potential.

Troutman3000

Academy is a regional retailer. They will draw from all of those areas and 124 is a central location. Its not like Walmart where you need one in every town. And yes, car counts are one of the main factors considered when locating a new retail location. I can guarantee you that the 80-90k cars a day arent all Snellville Citizens.

Land price and development costs are another big one. They probably were able to get the land at a better bargin because it had already been developed on and was sitting vacant for a couple year.

I agree Highway 20 would be ok but it not at a major intersection for regional travelers. Highway 78 is a major east west thoroughfare that brings thousands of cars each day as well.

They wouldnt locate in Loganville because Dicks is there. The fact of the matter is there in the middle of a large area with little to no competition. Believe it or not retailers want to be on 124 and not 78 since it is on a downswing in the development cycle.

What quality retailers are you speaking of that left the Avenues. The mexican resturant? To my knowledge the Avenues is still thriving.

GaMudd

Miguel-This new info is a bit of a buzz kill. At first I was excited that there would be an Academy that close to my house and now I realize I have to move....

The heck with any new top of the line sporting goods in the Atl area. We need something to compete against the BPS that we thought was going to be a GOD send for us in the Savannah area. Don't get me wrong, they have a decent selection but I still have to order online for alot of stuff.. An Academy close to us would be nice!!

FishinMech

Need one in north ga. Yall have all the good stuff down there.

striper slug

academy vs bps

id drive 20 miles past a bps to get to an academy, when have you seen brass cased 223 soft point for 6$ a box at a bps?

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Miguel-This new info is a bit of a buzz kill. At first I was excited that there would be an Academy that close to my house and now I realize I have to move....

Just today's news. It sure isn't the quaint little town I grew up in, that's for sure.

http://wsbradio.com/localnews/2010/09/gun-fired-at-gwinnett-county-b.html

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=pgsubhed vAlign=top width="50%" align=left>WSB News</TD><TD id=blogSponsor class=txtspons vAlign=top width="50%" align=left><!--#include virtual="/includes/sponsors/localnews/sponsor.html" --></TD><TD><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>function OpenTrackback (c) {window.open(c,'trackback','width=480,height=480,scrollbars=yes,status=yes');}</SCRIPT></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Gun Fired At Gwinnett County Bank Robbery

By <ADDRESS class=blogEntryAuthor>Veronica Waters </ADDRESS>@ <ABBR class=blogPubStamp title=2010-09-08T13:24:01-05:00>September 8, 2010 1:24 PM </ABBR>Permalink | Comments (2)

(WSB Radio) The FBI is investigating an armed bank robbery in which at least one gunshot was fired.

FBI Special Agent Steve Emmett says it happened within the noon hour at a Wachovia branch at 3520 Centerville Highway near Snellville.

Two black males, possibly the Wig Wearing Bandits that have hit Metro Atlanta area banks recently, are the suspects, say investigators.

http://wsbradio.com/localnews/2010/09/snellville-woman-apparent-homi.html

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=pgsubhed vAlign=top width="50%" align=left>WSB News</TD><TD id=blogSponsor class=txtspons vAlign=top width="50%" align=left><!--#include virtual="/includes/sponsors/localnews/sponsor.html" --></TD><TD><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>function OpenTrackback (c) {window.open(c,'trackback','width=480,height=480,scrollbars=yes,status=yes');}</SCRIPT></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Snellville Woman Apparent Homicide

By <ADDRESS class=blogEntryAuthor>Jon Lewis </ADDRESS>@ <ABBR class=blogPubStamp title=2010-09-08T03:15:45-05:00>September 8, 2010 3:15 AM </ABBR>Permalink | Comments (1)

(WSB Radio) Gwinnett County Police are trying to determine the motive behind the apparent murder of a woman Tuesday afternoon.
Police say 61-year-old Eva May Francis died a violent death. Officers found her home on Garnet Way in disarray.
Officers were called to the Snellville on Tuesday.
"The police got a phone call about a woman who had not been heard from, and her family was trying to get in contact with her," Corporal Brian Kelly tells WSB.
When officers arrived, they found the victim dead inside.
"It's theorized that she definitely suffered as the victim of a homicide," says Kelly. "It won't be known until an autopsy is conducted."
The Gwinnet County Medical Examiner's Office tells WSB those results may not be available until Thursday morning.
Kelly says the woman's family lives in another state, and that her husband is out of the country.

bigt61

Dang, we need one in McDonough real bad....

:biggrin2:

They have a sign up on 20/81 headed towards McDonough that says an Academy is being built across from the JCPenney and Hobby lobby complex

SouthPaw Draw

GONetwork, GWF and NTWF Member
They have a sign up on 20/81 headed towards McDonough that says an Academy is being built across from the JCPenney and Hobby lobby complex

I think it is suppose to open April 1st?

JakeMoss

Heard a rumor they were gonna build one somewhere near Cumming.:yeah:

applejuice

Whats going in Hiram? I heard there was a Bass Pro or Cabela's

xs5875

Banned
Anyone else think its funny that at the red light intersection to BPS in macon academy has bought advertisement on the billboard for everyone to see that is about to turn into BPS.......lol.

Dupree

BME013

I guess we'll just have to stick with Gable's and Natures Tacklebox over here on the west side. Academy is a fine store.

Natures Tackle boxs is going to get hurt because there is one coming in over there. I think in an old kroger shopping center.