Homemade Deer Drag

patterstdeer

Here is a homemade Deer Drag i came up with after having to drag a deer through pine rows with my belt a couple weeks ago

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 7,560
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 5,788

bsanders

good idea, but if you didnt braid those ropes together they will pull loose, and by the looks of it you didnt.

Ohoopee Tusker

Years ago I made one similar. I cut a short length of garden hose and slipped the rope through it, then made the loop large enough to pull the hose up to the front of my waist. Then just lean forward and drag.

walkinboss01

I used a tow strap one time when I shot a doe that was a "mile" from the road. It really saved my hands. Nice idea....

BornToHuntAndFish

Good job. I'm using a water ski rope with rubber coated grips that works well & is very similar to yours.

bassfishga

Good idea. I shot my first deer this morning and had to improvise since my hunting buddy with the 4 wheeler decided to stay in bed. I had my safety harness on and hooked it to my climbers strap then around the deer's legs. It was a hands free drag, still about kicked my ... going up that long hill.

georgia_home

I did the drag for years. It's a drag!!! ;) pun intended.

They work and all, but the inventor of the wheel would look at you funny! ;)

A hand cart is much better in the environ you mention. Planted pines. Next step up, which I couldnt afford, would be something gas powered.

timgarside

I used a tow strap one time when I shot a doe that was a "mile" from the road. It really saved my hands. Nice idea....
I used a tow strap and a tarp one time to get a bear out of Cohutta. The tarp was the key, it reduced the friction and slid along the ground real easy.

I like the PVC and rope idea. I may have to put one of these on the must make list.

Horns

I was thinking of making one with a piece of wood closet rod for a handle. Drill a hole on each end of a piece that is around 12 to 16 inches. Take one piece of cotton or nylon rope that is 12 feet or so long. Take one end and thread the rope through the hole then tie a knot in the rope. Do the same for the other end. Instead of Glen's Deer Handle you have Horns Deer Handle.

Good job. I'm using a water ski rope with rubber coated grips that works well & is very similar to yours.

That's what I use as well. Paid $1 for it at a yard sale with about 50' of rope and a carabiner. I've never used the rope and carabiner, but I know where they are.

BornToHuntAndFish

That's what I use as well. Paid $1 for it at a yard sale with about 50' of rope and a carabiner. I've never used the rope and carabiner, but I know where they are.

Wow, whatta great deal :clap: you beat me with on my $3 clearance deal from a local store, but I quadruple the long water skier tow rope in case I need it. Glad the rubber grip handle is wide enough for 2 people to grab when dragging deer but I've thought of adding a 2nd rubber handle to make it even easier & more comfortable to use.

timgarside

no only made it 12" long and with the 1/2" rope inside don't know what i would put in it.

You could silicone one of the holes in one of the end caps to make it hold liquid, take the cap off the other end and fill it with hydraulic cement. You can get a small tub of it in the concrete section of Home Depot. Mix it up till it flows like water. It will harden in about 15 minutes.