A guy walks into your church ...

egomaniac247

Here's a legit question to all who have said that you either wouldn't accept the gay guy into your church or would talk to him about his sin...

This is a legit question that I've wondered about...

Leviticus 11:7-8 reads: And the swine, though he divide the hoof, and be clovenfooted, yet he cheweth not the cud; he is unclean to you. Of their flesh shall ye not eat, and their carcase shall ye not touch; they are unclean to you.

Is eating bacon a sin?

Leviticus 19:28 states: Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.

Do you have tattoos?

Leviticus 19:27 states: Ye shall not round the corners of your heads, neither shalt thou mar the corners of thy beard.

???

Exodus 21:17 states: "And he that curseth his father, or his mother, shall surely be put to death."

Cussed your mom or dad under your breath as a teenager?

Exodus 31:14-15 states: "Ye shall keep the sabbath therefore; for it is holy unto you: every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death: for whosoever doeth any work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people.

Worked on Sunday?

1 Corinthians 14:34-35 states: Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

How's your wife feel about this?

Leviticus 10-11 states: And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you: They shall be even an abomination unto you; ye shall not eat of their flesh, but ye shall have their carcases in abomination.

Like shrimp? Crabs?

Deuteronomy 22:20-21 states: But if this thing be true, and the tokens of virginity be not found for the damsel: Then they shall bring out the damsel to the door of her father's house, and the men of her city shall stone her with stones that she die: because she hath wrought folly in Israel, to play the CensoredCensoredCensoredCensoredCensored in her father's house: so shalt thou put evil away from among you

Had sex before marriage?

And the biggie.....if being gay is immoral and wrong what about the # of people in the land (probably some of you) who've had a DIVORCE?

Mark 10:11-12 states: Whosoever putteth away his wife, and marrieth another, committeth adultery: and whosoever marrieth her that is put away from her husband committeth adultery.

Now to be clear, I am not trying to contradict anyone or serve up a "gotcha" moment. I'm legitimately confused by this stuff as a Christian. I fully acknowledge that the Bible says that homosexuality is immoral. I can read that plain as day. But do we just ignore these other things that ARE ALSO in the Bible?

gordon 2

Here's a legit question to all who have said that you either wouldn't accept the gay guy into your church or would talk to him about his sin...

Is eating bacon a sin?

Do you have tattoos?

???

Worked on Sunday?

Like shrimp? Crabs?

Had sex before marriage?

And the biggie.....if being gay is immoral and wrong what about the # of people in the land (probably some of you) who've had a DIVORCE?

Now to be clear, I am not trying to contradict anyone or serve up a "gotcha" moment. I'm legitimately confused by this stuff as a Christian. I fully acknowledge that the Bible says that homosexuality is immoral. I can read that plain as day. But do we just ignore these other things that ARE ALSO in the Bible?

Romans and 1 Corinthians will help clear up things hopefully. And it is a short read comparatively.

Sins against the body or sexual sins are a biggy for PAUL. They compete for the body against the Spirit of a believer or Jesus in the life of a saint. Therefore sexual sins distort Christianity itself, because the body of a christian has specific purpose after an individual is in Christ. Unnatural sexual activities, that is acts not in conformity to the initial designs of creation, are taboo in classic spiritual terms because they distort the will of God for the body.

Other sins are sins against GOD.

Last edited:

Artfuldodger

I think we've reached the point to discuss what is repentance of sin?

1 Corinthians 6:9-12
have ye not known that the unrighteous the reign of God shall not inherit? be not led astray; neither *****mongers, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor sodomites,
10nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor verbal abusers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God. 11And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified, in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God. 12“Everything is permissible for me,” but not everything is beneficial. “Everything is permissible for me,” but I will not be mastered by anything.

Artfuldodger

Let's go with "the greedy." Must a greedy person "repent" before receiving salvation or will he stop being greedy by the workmanship of God after being granted salvation?

Does the "washing" keep him from being greedy or did it cover his greediness sin?

centerpin fan

Is eating bacon a sin?

Do you have tattoos?

???

Worked on Sunday?

Like shrimp? Crabs?

Had sex before marriage?

Do a search, and you'll find all these issues discussed ad nauseum.

centerpin fan

Well, we've already been told the gay prostitute doesn't have to repent. In another thread, we were told adulterers don't need to repent. Therefore, I'm guessing the greedy can pass on repentance as well.

hummerpoo

Gone but not forgotten
And the biggie..
IF it is "the biggie", the first question is "who made it "the biggie"? Scripture doesn't give it that status.
...if being gay is immoral and wrong what about the # of people in the land (probably some of you) who've had a DIVORCE?
What about them?

Now to be clear, I am not trying to contradict anyone or serve up a "gotcha" moment.
If the answers you seek are to be found, it will be in diligent, prayerful study, not by throwing up lists on an internet forum.

welderguy

Well, we've already been told the gay prostitute doesn't have to repent. In another thread, we were told adulterers don't need to repent. Therefore, I'm guessing the greedy can pass on repentance as well.

Your original question should have been "Is grace required for repentance?"

And your answer(I hope) would have been "YES!".

Rom.5:17
17 For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.)

welderguy

I think I understand it pretty well. I just don't think repentance negates it.

So, in essence, you're saying "faith without works is dead". I agree wholeheartedly. They go hand in hand.

But here's what one must realize, that you cannot manufacture faith by doing works. Faith is a gift from God. If you've been given faith, then you are enabled to do good works.

centerpin fan

So, in essence, you're saying "faith without works is dead". I agree wholeheartedly. They go hand in hand.

But here's what one must realize, that you cannot manufacture faith by doing works. Faith is a gift from God. If you've been given faith, then you are enabled to do good works.

Is repentance a work?

Artfuldodger

I guess I need an updated definition of repenting of sin? Is it to stop sinning or to try and stop sinning? Must the drunkard repent from drinking to gain salvation or must he gain salvation and then try to stop drinking? How long does he have or how many tries before his salvation is removed? That really makes salvation a rollercoaster dependent on repentance of sin.

Does salvation wax and wane with the drunkards drinking and soberness?

I'm not sure trying to not sin equals repenting of sin.

Last edited:

hobbs27

So works can't bring salvation but they can prevent you from salvation?