Q: planted vs natural forest?

outdoorman

Looking at small hunting land to purchase and my Q is wood land more or less expensive it has planted pines plots vs natural pines?
Just trying to figure if there is premium for half of it with acres of young planted pine trees.

Elkbane

I use timberland appraisals in my business, and there is a general rule that appraisers use to value pre-merchantable plantations (generally classified as < age 15).

Basically, it's about $200/acre plus $35-$45/year in age. The theory is that it's worth establishment cost (site prep, planting and seedlings) right after you plant it, then increases in value at a rate that would equal the timber value once it becomes merchantable at age 15. The value increases changes based on location relative to markets (affects the price/ton) and productivity of the site (affects the tonnage yield). The establishment cost changes based on whether it's bedded ground or flat planted.

On natural stands, there is no establishment cost, the stands are generally overstocked, have a hardwood component in them, and the predicted yield at age 15 is much less predictable, therefore, the values are different, ballpark 50-75% of an equivalent age planted stand with similar location and site productivity.

At least that has been my experience in reviewing 20 years worth of timberland appraisals.

Elkbane

jmock9

I believe the timber market will pay a premium for older growth, natural timber than it does for planted pines. You do have to consider what you are dealing with as far as the amount and quality of the natural timber. Is it crap and over crowded or well managed older stuff. Nice old timber would likely be worth more. The planted pines are usually more uniform as far as trees per acre but done fetch quiet has high a price on the market. You could find a local timber consultant and have him ride the tract with you. He will likely do it for free to have the opportunity to broker your timber in the future.