small diameter arrows...thinking about making the switch...should I?

jfarrell30339

I'm debating making the switch to the small diameter arrows...good idea/bad idea? I just don't know.

Any input is welcome. I imagine I'd get better penetration but is it worth the cost of new arrows and heads?

Ihunt

Weight will make a bigger difference in penetration. I shoot Axis and Victory Rip but not for any real reason. They will penetrate farther into a target because the target uses friction. I wouldn’t waste the money unless you’re just wanting to try something new. Then, by all means, go for it.

Kris87

I don't think its worth it on live animals since the shaft is following a 1.5" hole from the broadhead. ;)

And its difficult to get inserts/outserts to work half the time. Stick with standard.

NBN

GoldTip Peirce are hard to beat! Fly awesome and penetrate great. GoldTip has great components.

Stump06

Are you referring to injection sized arrows or Axis sized? Ive shot axis/fmj/rampage arrows for years and love that diameter (X). I tried some of the smaller diameter but as mentioned above, the outserts can be an issue and I was never crazy about them. I like the HIT inserts and you can get them in 50-75 gr brass to help with your FOC.
I've shot them all and I've always went back to the X size.

ProAngler

I don't think its worth it on live animals since the shaft is following a 1.5" hole from the broadhead. ;)

And its difficult to get inserts/outserts to work half the time. Stick with standard.[/QUOTE

Tissue is elastic And does not leave a 1.5 inch gaping hole straight through the deer, and the shaft will follow at a different angle to the broad head, meaning plenty of friction on the shaft through the hole.

You will get more penetration with smaller diameter arrows, plenty of test out there to prove it. Usually in the range of 2-4 inches. That being said I would not make the switch if I was already set up with standard diameter arrows. Either one should be a pass through anyway depending on your set up. Another factor to consider with a smaller diameter shaft is less wind diflection.

Kris87

And its difficult to get inserts/outserts to work half the time. Stick with standard.[/QUOTE

Tissue is elastic And does not leave a 1.5 inch gaping hole straight through the deer, and the shaft will follow at a different angle to the broad head, meaning plenty of friction on the shaft through the hole.

You will get more penetration with smaller diameter arrows, plenty of test out there to prove it. Usually in the range of 2-4 inches. That being said I would not make the switch if I was already set up with standard diameter arrows. Either one should be a pass through anyway depending on your set up. Another factor to consider with a smaller diameter shaft is less wind diflection.

Can you link me any tests on game, and not a target? I've never seen any on animals, only foam, hole closing targets, which doesn't mean anything to me.

jfarrell30339

Bought some black eagle deep impact in 350 spine. They are smaller diameter but don't require new broadheads etc. They seem to be pretty nice and I like em. So thanks everyone!