Would you take a 3yo GSP?

The Rodney

3 year old female pure bred with papers. Given up because she was kept outside alone and escaped so many times the family gave her up. Not sure if she was hunted. If she was never hunted can you train her to point/hold quail? She is a beauty.

The Rodney

Oh, I want to go meet her. Is there something I can hide in the grass to see if she has some instinct? Other than a live bird is there a scent I can buy?

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I like GSPs. They are generally smart and can be taught to do most anything. They make great pets as well as hunting dogs. If she is kept outside and ignored she has probably run away to find something to do same as you or me in that situation.

Take a fishing pole and a bird wing. Look for curiosity and pointing instinct. Take a ball or toy to throw for her to see if she likes to fetch. Take yourself and your family and see how she reacts to you and whether she is the affectionate sort.

If you decide to get her and work with her on either hunting skills, people/pet skills, or both, I will bet that you will see a different dog in very short order.

NCMTNHunter

You could ask what she was doing when she escaped. If she was chasing cats or chickens then she has some drive that could be worked with. That being said, if I were going to invest the time and money and the next 10+ years of my life and my goal was to have have a bird dog, I would by a pup from a good hunting stock. If your goal is to have a pet GSP and you don't really care if it ends up being a hunting dog or not then take a chance on this one.

It may take longer to train her. But i have seen dogs that were not trained pick it up and make great dogs. Sounds like she needs a home any way.

pine nut

one of my best was a new to me britt that had never been hunting before I got her. I didn't know that because she came from a hunter. She had a fine nose and I trained her and hunted pheasant and Quail with her. She was as smart as any other dog I have known. She did not like to pick up a shot up bird though. She find them and gag at them and walk off! She had no bottom and would hunt all day every day! Give that dog a chance and a home. It will make a dog if you do your part right..

JackSprat

The German dogs are slow maturing (mentally). Most of them stay in the puppy stage until 2.

I have always had Weims, and the birdiness has been bred out of a lot of them.

I know and work with many GSP people, and I don't think I've ever seen one that wasn't birdy. JustUs4All's suggestion about the bird wing is about as good as you can do, unless you can procure a pigeon. You can keep them in the freezer until the meet and greet.

Killinstuff

Honestly, used dogs are best taken on by folks who know dogs and hunt a lot. If you're looking for an instant hunting partner they are not free. The last thing I'd worry about is if she points. Pointing isn't "trained". She points, our job is to keep them on point. You should concern yourself with her health first. Has she been on heart worm preventative and is she up to date on shots? Does she look "right"? Hips, shoulders, head, deep chest? Is she spayed? Un-spayed females tend to have more health issues later in life and who wants the mess twice a year. Secondly what's her personality? A wagging tail (even stubby ones wag) when you meet is a good thing. Tail tucked and hiding in her box is a red flag. Slam the truck door and see what she does. In a firm loud voice tell her to sit. What does she do? Snap a check cord on her and take her for a walk. Does she fight it or come when you say come. A healthy happy dog that pays attention to you and doesn't spook when you raise your hand above your head is a real good sign.

Latest posts