AR beats Mini-14

transfixer

I thought this was how the 6.8 SPC was developed. I thought the .300 BO was developed for supressor use, not specifically for military.

They both were designed for the military initially, the spec ops community wanted something with stopping power, that could be suppressed if needed, so the .300blkout came about. The 6.8spc was another attempt to replace the 5.56 because of its lack of stopping power.

rayjay

That is interesting information. I never considered that the bolt is the piston and that it is directly in line reducing torque on the action. I did realize that the stock being inline with the bore is why the recoil is straight back instead of up though.

Always learn something new on here. :)

Rosewood

I have had people argue that the AR doesn't have a piston. Well duh, if those aren't piston rings I don't know what they are.....

Even though I have a few ARs, I haven't gotten rid of my SKS yet. You can dump it in a mudhole, throw it out the back of a truck, and it'll still go bangbangbang. :)

Never an AR fan but I carried one for over twenty years in combat and training. I like the SKS more than I liked the AK. The SKS I saw in NAM were cheap Chicom made junk in NAM. Later the ones I saw made in other places were decent weapons. SKS can be a decent deer rifle. The 5.56 is weak. I could kill a deer with one but most people are not good enough shots to kill one.

MCBUCK

the funny thing is this.....when I was active duty, I saw quite a few AR's (M16a2's) require firing pin replacements, and bolt replacements, hence the understandable need to have spare parts available, but.....I have owned several Mini's over the last 30 years since my ets and never ever once had the need to replace a broken part under any circumstances.
The 581 Mini's that I have encountered are as accurate at 200m as any AR I have ever owned too. The 180's and 190 series not so much in the accuracy department.

rayjay

How many of the Mini's were selective fire ? SF really ramps up the wear.

MCBUCK

Range NCO in good ol Deutschland 83-86...we fired semi auto only and qualified every 6 mos. Firing pins were always being replaced...we had a1's till late 85