What to feed now?

SWAMPFOX

I know this isn't the time of year to be using corn as a supplemental feed since it's spring green up. So what is a good supplemental feed. I'm thinking protein is the way to go?

If so, what brand/type, etc. would be the best and for how long?

Thanks.

SWAMPFOX

Anything out there that'd be better or comparable to Purina Antler Max? It's 20% protein according to the label.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
I have less coons eating my protein with Buck Muscle.
I am transitioning to all protein within a few weeks.

SWAMPFOX

I was planning on dispensing it from my WGI spin feeder. Would that be a good way or should I consider a different means?
Thanks.

Big7

The Oracle
At the quack-a-practor today.

Some kind of "QDM" mag that I
looked at said it really don't matter.

I already knew this and was going to ask for the
mag and forgot to grab it on the way out.

Food plots/minerals/supplemental feed
are attractants.

They get all they need (nutritionally) from
natural browse.

This mag said on the inside of the cover they
are on their 30th year.

I plant plots.
I use mineral licks.
I kill deer.

It is what it is though.

ucfireman

I was planning on dispensing it from my WGI spin feeder. Would that be a good way or should I consider a different means?
Thanks.
I tried feeding 2 different brands of protein from a spin feeder. The spinner plate spins fast and breaks up the pellets and then with moisture (either rain or heavy dew) every thing gums up. I went to a gravity style and that works OK. I also built a trough style, that works the best and easy to fill. Just make sure not to build it too tall. Squirrels and coons will still be a problem with any style, at least they are with me. They are not too bad though. I have about decided to stop feeding and just do plots. cheaper and more fun. I will probably keep a feeder out just for pictures. I have no real experience with the minerals other than a brown salt block which they seem to like.

shdw633

I would convert your spin feeder into a gravity feeder if you want to feed protein feed. Academy sports has a gravity tube that you can use to convert the spin feeder you have for a pretty good price or I do believe you can order them online through Walmart or Ebay. I am not sure where you are located by Mid GA Farm Services in Montezuma has 14%, 20% and 24% feed for reasonable prices. You can get 40 bags of the 20% for about $9.50 a bag. If you use that you should mix 1 bag of corn to three bags of protein and if you really want your deer to gobble it up put in a bag of rice bran, it's pricey but the deer love it and it's full of protein as well. Good luck

XJfire75

Protein for antler growth and milk production now through summer. Samenwith minerals. Can build a trough feeder really cheap. Or convert the tripod feeder like stated. I have the academy brand conversion that I’m affecting to a plastic drum for gravity feeding protein. If you go that route just take off a section of legs or cut them down to around 36”-40” so they can easily reach it

riskyb

I’m running a 50/50 mix protein pellets and corn I have a second sight with a trophy rock it’s hard to get back in there and a third mineral lick I made we will see how it pans out