Planting multiple varieties of fruit/soft mass trees nearby

XJfire75

Hey yall, I’m looking to improve a section of pines on t new home site property by clearing 1/2 acre or so to plant several apple, pear, persimmons and oak trees for future buffet for deer and turkeys. Are there any specifics on planting them other than insuring no cedars nearby? Will they all do well and produce if grouped together in close proximity(but with plenty of room to grow)? What about ground prep?

New to all this and this is my first piece of ground I can actually call mine so want to try and give back some food and cover to the deer since I’m taking some of their bedroom to build a house.

Any online resources I need to look to for answers? I’m all about researching things, just looking for the right guidance.

Thanks!

lagrangedave

Gone But Not Forgotten
Every fall Home Depot closes out all their fruit trees, I bought many for $5 a piece and they are doing quite well.

Gut_Pile

If you mix oak trees and fruit trees just think about the height difference once mature. A sawtooth oak will get much taller than an apple tree and will shade your apple tree out if they are planted too close together

XJfire75

Every fall Home Depot closes out all their fruit trees, I bought many for $5 a piece and they are doing quite well.

I found a few apple trees cheap from Walmart. I’ll defintiely keep an eye out for the clearance trees this fall.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
I found a few apple trees cheap from Walmart. I’ll defintiely keep an eye out for the clearance trees this fall.
Just make sure whoever you buy from that it is a blight resistant variety and will grow in your region.
I almost lost most of my fruit trees from fire blight last year.It was bad for many people You don't want to get 7-10 years into growing and have them die.
Also some varieties need a pollinator.Make sure to check if you need one or not.

XJfire75

10-4. Looking into that. Seems like that’s why the Chinese chestnut is becoming more popular. Same with fuyu persimmons. Planning on trying to find both of those. Walked the property today. Might have enough room(1/4 acre maybe) in 2 spots I could potentially clear out some thick stuff and sweet guys to gain enough room for a handful of different trees.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
I bought most of my trees from Isoms nursery and wildlife group.
Never bought anything from Tyty.Don't think I will either.

XJfire75

I bought most of my trees from Isoms nursery and wildlife group.
Never bought anything from Tyty.Don't think I will either.

I’m gonna give my local garden shops a look in the gal when they normally get them again. Worst case I’ll buy a few Chinese chestnuts from Tractor supply and try and find watch Lowe’s and HD for sales on their apple and pear trees.

May try some muscadines along the edge of my yard too. Some for me and some for the deer!

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
I’m gonna give my local garden shops a look in the gal when they normally get them again. Worst case I’ll buy a few Chinese chestnuts from Tractor supply and try and find watch Lowe’s and HD for sales on their apple and pear trees.

May try some muscadines along the edge of my yard too. Some for me and some for the deer!

In 8 years of growing musadines i have eaten 2-3 handfulls total. The deer and birds have eaten the rest.
Keifer pears and asian persimmons would be my go to if space was limited.