.308 for bear?

GAHUNTER60

Sue Aikens, the manly-woman of Life Below Zero, used an AR-10 in .308 to hunt and kill, on camera, a problem grizzly bear that was stalking her camp.

If it's good enough for griz, it's good enough for blackie!

tgc

Hope you like your new gun and it works well for you.

I really hope'in for a Browning Lever action in .308. 38 inches long & 6 1/2 pounds.

Good luck to ya!

tree cutter 08

That 308 will do just fine. Good all around caliber. I've killed them with 22 hornet, 243, 7m08 and 35. The 243 seemed to do the best. Other than the hornet head shot.

GunnSmokeer

Sue Aikens, the manly-woman of Life Below Zero, used an AR-10 in .308 to hunt and kill, on camera, a problem grizzly bear that was stalking her camp.

If it's good enough for griz, it's good enough for blackie!

I just watched that scene on YouTube. It's at the end of a 3.5 minute video called Sue Aikins Toughest Moments.
She later ID'd the rifle on her Twitter as an Ar-10 in .308.
The video shows the bear ran off after the first shot (she hit it; you can see dust and fur flying). Then a second shot results in BANG--FLOP.
But, that's a brown bear in Alaska.
For black bears in the southeast lower 48, I'm sure a .308 with the right kind of bullets is as good as it gets.

groundhawg

black bear? In the South? Heck yeah, a .308 rifle is plenty powerful. I'd use a 180 grain bullet that is known for controlled expansion.

My dad got a black bear with a .35 Remington.

The .308 is 700 f.p.s. faster at 100 yards and strikes with 1000 ft/ lbs. more energy than the .35 Rem (with 200 grain bullets).

Black bear? In the South? :rofl::rofl: Any bear, anywhere and the .308 is enough rifle. While we were in Alaska lots of brown bears killed every year with .270 and .308. The .300 Winchester Mag was likely the top pick but no one I knew felt under gunned with a .308 using 165+ grain bullet.

GunnSmokeer

You are right.
I just checked the Alaska department of game and wildlife website, and it says don't be the noob who buys a new super-magnum just for Alaska big bears or moose.
It says to only use magnum calibers if you are equally skilled with them as you are your trusty .270 or 7mm-08 or .30-06, all of which will do the job on a 1500 lb animal with a proper bullet type and with a good accurate hit to the vitals.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=hunting.firearms