Browning AB3

I decided on a Browning AB3 in 7/08 as the gift rifle for this month's gift hunt and got it to the range on a very chilly morning a couple days ago. I topped it with a Leupold VX-R 1.25-4 with Firedot Duplex reticle that was donated by another member of our group.

Both worked great in the initial outing, 3 shots at 50 yards had it "on" and then I moved the target to 100 yards where I'd decided to zero it. Chosen ammo for the hog hunt was Fusion 140gr and a couple groups later it was ready to hunt. I finished up on the rifle I chose for the hunt, a SS Ruger Hawkeye in .35 Whelen and got packed up for the trip home feeling great about everything.

However, late that afternoon I got a phone call from our guest with bad news. He had an unexpected medical problem that was going to prevent him from attending the hunt. I contacted the organization I use to get married up with deserving veterans and asked them to try and get a last minute replacement for the hunt.

The hunt will still be an enjoyable time for the four of us still attending, but it will be a bit disappointing not having our planned guest. But, all we can do is try after all. The gift rifle will be stored until the next gift hunt, even though we already have another rifle in hand for that hunt. I'm going to try and make next year's hunt a two veteran deal if possible now (if we don't get a last minute replacement)

Attachments

• Browning AB3.jpg
    Browning AB3.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 182

Dub

Man, that's some great work you are doing. A labor of love.

Much respect to you and those you honor with these hunts.

I'll bet that FireDot reticle is great for hunting and I know the A-Bolt is a sweet shooter, especially in 7mm08.

Thanks, we really enjoy these hunts with our special guests.

I really like the Leupold VX-R line myself and I now own 5 of them. The Firedot reticle(s) are awesome in very low light on dark targets like hogs and black bear.

I forgot to mention how impressed I am with the AB3's trigger, it is excellent. I had purchased Vanguards the last couple years as gift rifles, but decided to try the Browning this year and I was not disappointed.

sghoghunter

Thanks, we really enjoy these hunts with our special guests.

I really like the Leupold VX-R line myself and I now own 5 of them. The Firedot reticle(s) are awesome in very low light on dark targets like hogs and black bear.

I forgot to mention how impressed I am with the AB3's trigger, it is excellent. I had purchased Vanguards the last couple years as gift rifles, but decided to try the Browning this year and I was not disappointed.

I also bout the AB3 this yr in the 7-08 and topped it with a vortex diamondback. The last week of the season I decided to get it out and sight it in. My first shot surprised me a lil cause that thing has a lil kick to it. Did get it sighted in and took a doe the last afternoon with my brother at his club