Mossberg 535 Patterning

Buckman18

I have a Mossberg 535 with a 22 inch barrell and a non ported factory accu-choke with .670 constriction.

Anyone have experience patterning one of these, and have any success stories regarding the ammo/choke combo? I'm open to getting a new choke if it'd help. I shot 5 different types of shot today at 40 yards, and the best by far was 3" Win LB #5s, got 127 pellets in 10 inches at 40 yd.

The other ammo I tried was win super x #4s, Rem Nitro #6, Win XX #5, some old Federal Premium #4. The XX 5's did fair at best, with 95 pellets in 10 inches, and everything else was poor. All 3" shells.

Just to make sure I wasn't seeing things, I shot my old 870 and put 189 #5 LBs and 122 #6 Nitros in 10 at 40...

Any thoughts on a load/choke combo that you've had success with?

armyvet4583

I shoot the same, shooting #6 lb at around 175 at 40. I want to see if with the help of sumtoy I can get 3.5 to shoot well in #4s or 5s.

fountain

Something in the .655 area should shoot the longbeard well and give you a nice pattern. There are quite a few really good choke makers out there and some of the best in the industry are in GA.

Buckman18

Something in the .655 area should shoot the longbeard well and give you a nice pattern. There are quite a few really good choke makers out there and some of the best in the industry are in GA.

Which brand choke would you recommend, and what size LB shot should I try first with it?

fountain

Something else you may consider is the new tss loads coming available from apex and federal. They will be expensive, but will be there best load you can possibly get. I would bet they shoot well from your factory choke

Buckman18

Other than price, what would be the difference in a primos jelly head and tight wad choke?

Buckman18

Something else you may consider is the new tss loads coming available from apex and federal. They will be expensive, but will be there best load you can possibly get. I would bet they shoot well from your factory choke

I appreciate that, TSS is something to consider, but I've shot lead my whole life and all I know.

fountain

Tss will be the norm within a year or two. Might as well go on and get set up for it. Tss shines in the smaller guns though. If you ever shoot it through a 20, you will sell that mule kicking machine you have now and will not want to shot a 12 again.

fountain

Call any of the choke makers here in ga and get their advice on a choke for your specific shell/gun combo. They will send you one and if it doesn't fit the bill, send it back and they will send you another. All of them will make sure you're happy with their product. A 655-660 will likely be the ticket

deerslayer0369

Have the 535 with a 21” barrel. Current setup is and ssx.643 shooting 3” 2oz hevi shot #7’s. That setup will put #’s in the 200’s consistently, added note my barrel has been deep cleaned and polished. My backup combo is a kicks .655 with 3” LB 1.75oz #6’s, that set up puts up an average of 180 or so in the 10”. The LB’s just don’t have much of a 20” pattern being the reason I go with the #7’s as my primary. All patterning done at 40yds and 20yds. The LB’s are SUPER tight at 20yds and in, the hevi #7’s are just a far superior shell in almost all areas with cost being the only negative. Hope this helps and good luck.

Buckman18

I appreciate everyone's input.

After a lot of studying, I found a Carlson's Longbeard .660 choke on Walmart.com, of all places, for about $30. Definitely pays to shop around!!! So I decided to try it. Quick test in backyard at exactly 45 yards:

#5 Longbeards - 184 in 12
#5 win XX - 123 in 12
#4 win super x - 86 in 12
#6 Rem Nitro - 126 in 12
All 3" shells.

Longbeards were the class of the field, but the old school cheap shells also did fine. Big improvement over the factory XX Full .670 choke for sure.

deast1988

I like both those #5s.

100+ minimum with lead shot and you should be toting one out.

Buckman18

I like both those #5s.

100+ minimum with lead shot and you should be toting one out.

10-4.

I couldn't stand it and went outside and shot another LB, and put 182 in 12 at 45. The new choke made a huge improvement! Who knows, I bet LB #6's might group even better, but I like the extra horsepower with #5's.