The process of changing game laws and limits ?

transfixer

I've been thinking about this, the legislature forms committee's to discuss things like this, changing the seasons for deer hunting and other game animals, changing the bag limits, etc,etc,

So if we assume that the people within those committees have some understanding or experience in deer hunting/ hunting in general, which I would hope since they are discussing/presenting changes to laws and limits? Lets say those people might know a little bit, and I imagine they get input from DNR, along with other groups, wildlife groups, etc,, and maybe even some input from average joe hunter ?

So a proposed bill comes out of that committee, and then its put to vote in the legislature, voted on by the rest of the representatives and legislators in the whole state. The majority of which have no personal experience, and I will go so far as to say no interest whatsoever in hunting of any kind ! I know my local representatives in my area come from a background where they neither have experience or care about hunting, its out of their " wheelhouse" so to speak, and that would be the case for most of the representatives in and around the metro Atlanta area. Likely the case with other metro areas of the state as well. Especially the inner city representatives.

So changes to our game laws and regulations are being voted on by people who have no vested interest or knowledge of the matter, ( unless its by way of lobbyists) Does that seem like a logical way of instituting laws and regulations ?

These matters should be taken away from politicians and given back to DNR to handle, DNR should be in charge of setting seasons , bag limits and regulations, lets put it back in the hands of people who are qualified , or at least paid to handle such things.

lampern

HB 950 would give the DNR more latitude in setting deer limits

So folks who support a deer limit change need to support HB 950 in the state legislature

transfixer

I don't know the process it would take, or how to go about it, but control over our hunting seasons, regulations , and bag limits needs to be taken AWAY from our legislators ! DNR should control those type things ! NOT politicians sitting in the capital ! Any lawyers on here that have any insight as to how to get this changed ?

across the river

Think about it. Most people in the legislature have little to no experience in most of the stuff they are voting on. The pass laws and allocated money to everything from hospitals and healthcare to roads and bridges. That doesn't mean that they are all doctors and civl engineers any more than it means they are biologists if they are voting on game laws. They get plenty of guidance on laws from all kinds up places, but ultimately they typically end up voting to please the people who put them in office. You can typically tell how they are going to vote just by looking at the area they we elected in. As far as being "experts" or having experience when voting on game laws, it is very obvious to me based on a lot of the threads I read on here that we are probably much better off not having the hunting set the laws.

be careful

"These matters should be taken away from politicians and given back to DNR to handle"

You do realize that it is against the law to shoot domestic dogs and cats and to trespass. And both of theses subjects were taken OUT of your game laws and returned to the sheriff dept.

jus say'n

s&r

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I don't know the process it would take, or how to go about it, but control over our hunting seasons, regulations , and bag limits needs to be taken AWAY from our legislators ! DNR should control those type things ! NOT politicians sitting in the capital ! Any lawyers on here that have any insight as to how to get this changed ?

legislators would have to pass a law saying so.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
These matters should be taken away from politicians and given back to DNR to handle, DNR should be in charge of setting seasons , bag limits and regulations, lets put it back in the hands of people who are qualified , or at least paid to handle such things.

Take the power away from elected representatives who are accountable to the electorate and replace them with bureaucrat regulators who aren't accountable to the electorate?

We might need to think about that for a little while before we do it. The deep state is deep enough now as it is.

lampern

Take the power away from elected representatives who are accountable to the electorate and replace them with bureaucrat regulators who aren't accountable to the electorate?

We might need to think about that for a little while before we do it. The deep state is deep enough now as it is.

You mean wildlife biologists instead of legislators who may or may not hunt?

Why are fishing seasons and limits different?

transfixer

I understand that concern, but the way it is now the laws and regulations are subject to the influence of lobbyists and outside influences which do not benefit the game animals, or the interests of sportsmen and hunters either ! They have their own agendas which generally run opposite to our best interests, and opposite to the conservation of the game animals.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
You mean wildlife biologists instead of legislators who may or may not hunt?

No. I mean senior management people in the Department of Natural Resources. The Wildlife Resources Division is part of DNR and subject to what the Commissioner of the department says "it is".

transfixer

"These matters should be taken away from politicians and given back to DNR to handle"

You do realize that it is against the law to shoot domestic dogs and cats and to trespass. And both of theses subjects were taken OUT of your game laws and returned to the sheriff dept.

jus say'n

s&r

Okay ? So what does that have to do with what I am talking about ? not sure about the dog and cat thing, but common sense says " trespassing" should be handled by law enforcement doesn't it ?

transfixer

I will explain it more.

Those laws were taken out of your game laws because the DNR did not want to be involved in it.

s&r

I can understand that, trespassing should not fall under DNR's jurisdiction unless its a state management area that's being trespassed on, and anything involving domestic dogs and cats should have never fallen under DNR coverage anyway ? That sounds like some stuff politicians decided to begin with ,,,

I'm pretty sure DNR has no objection to being in charge of Seasons , or bag limits, or regulations, I was told by numerous Rangers back when baiting was legalized for the southern zone and for hogs, that they didn't like it, but there was nothing they could do about it.
I was also told by one of the higher ups in DNR that since they couldn't alter bag limits the only way they had to reduce doe harvest was by taking away either sex days, which they did, at least for a short time.