Favorite old school call...

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
These are some remarkable calls, especially the multi-generational ones.

Gaswamp

These are some remarkable calls, especially the multi-generational ones.
'

you still use your cost box?

GLS

I use the old cedar box occasionally, but mostly use a butternut one made in '94. Gil

Gaswamp

I use the old cedar box occasionally, but mostly use a butternut one made in '94. Gil

glad to hear that. Hate when I see one for sale and the owner is proud to say never hunted with:mad:

Stroker

Ben Lee "Super Hen" in slate and an 30 year old Lynch box call.

Stroker

Ben Lee "slate" call, aluminum strip
old2.jpg

X2 Love my Ben Lee Super Hen in slate.

GLS

glad to hear that. Hate when I see one for sale and the owner is proud to say never hunted with:mad:

I killed my first mature bird with that old cedar box. Here's the one I carry mostly. It's a little dirty from use, but the holster as you can see takes the brunt of it. I bought 13 from Neil over the years and gave most of them to friends and folks I hunted with. All are still in use.
001-24.jpg

J Gilbert

There are some beautiful calls on this thread, love to see the ones that are worn from use instead of the ones that sit and look pretty

Gaswamp

I killed my first mature bird with that old cedar box. Here's the one I carry mostly. It's a little dirty from use, but the holster as you can see takes the brunt of it. I bought 13 from Neil over the years and gave most of them to friends and folks I hunted with. All are still in use.
001-24.jpg

Only met Neil one time in Unicoi think 94/95. I had just gotten out of the service and gotten married, so I didn't have much cash flow. However, I enjoy using calls from some men that he mentored and influenced, Mann and Harwell.

beardsnbones

Scatch box hands down for this guy...

mossyoakpro

This is a great thread!! Kinda gets the turkey juices flowing!!

I have an old Fool Proof that I use on occasion....killed my first bird with a Thunderdome so it has a lot of sentimental value to me as well.

Keep it up guys!! Love to look at these calls!! :cool:

M Sharpe

I'm kinda partial to wingbones and trumpets!

Gaswamp

This is a great thread!! Kinda gets the turkey juices flowing!!

I have an old Fool Proof that I use on occasion....killed my first bird with a Thunderdome so it has a lot of sentimental value to me as well.

Keep it up guys!! Love to look at these calls!! :cool:

it is still a good thread

GLS

Since I posted my boxes a few years ago, things have changed.
In the past few years since I've enjoyed using my homemade rivercane yelpers and box turtle slates. The rivercane I cut in turkey woods and find the empty box turtle shells in the woods. I wouldn't think of harming a box turtle to get a shell as my brothers and I raised and released them after a few weeks back into the woods when we were kids. I would however think of harming a gobbler with a box turtle shell slate.
Gil

stonecreek

70s era signed Ben Lee box call that Dad picked up from Ben Lee at the hardware store during his circuit demos. Dad used it till 96 when he passed and then I took possession. Has taken a pile of birds. Only thing I carry. Bens signature has faded over the years.
2449nch.jpg

2isii2r.jpg

swamppirate

Wow! This thread is still going! Thanks all for posting! I recently inherited my Granddaddy's old Lynch foolproof and carry it with pride!

deast1988

Snuff tubes, and Trumpets. Some hard cuts on a snuff tube great locator.

Tree talk on trumpets I like

Gaswamp

Since I posted my boxes a few years ago, things have changed.
In the past few years since I've enjoyed using my homemade rivercane yelpers and box turtle slates. The rivercane I cut in turkey woods and find the empty box turtle shells in the woods. I wouldn't think of harming a box turtle to get a shell as my brothers and I raised and released them after a few weeks back into the woods when we were kids. I would however think of harming a gobbler with a box turtle shell slate.
Gil

old school style for sure...how did you end up buying a Neil Cost box way back when....see him at a show or something else?

Garnto88

I have a Ben Lee twin hen unfinished call that is my go to call and an old Sure shot box that was given to me when I was 14 that is as well. They have different sounds.. Both calls are my go to calls. I hunt a lot and have done well since I was 14. I am 48 now if that tells you anything..The twin hen is in my avatar