ucfireman

Never been in a kayak but wanting to give it a try.
Figure mostly small ponds and coves of lakes. But may need to paddle a ways to get to the coves/shores (Stone mtn etc) Maybe the hooch around Newnan to Franklin.
Don't want to buy a "cheap" one to try and then buy something better, I would rather spend a little and get a good one and if I don't like it sell it.
Anyway, thoughts on a Vibe SG 110 or 130? The ones decked out for 829/899 look nice.
Also thoughts on colors? I know dark colors get hotter than lighter colors, does it make a difference when fishing?
I know everyone says "try them out" but where can you try out numerous sizes or brands at 1 time.

Dreamer69

ucfireman, I am not too far from you. I have the SG 130. Just recently purchased it and from the reviews of it and all the extras that is all ready on there, you just cant go wrong. I went to Appalachian Outfitters in Acworth to get mine. You can go there and try them out and they also sell NuCanoe also. Good luck.

61BelAir

Not hugely popular, but my wife and I love our Ascend kayaks (FS128T, FS12T, and FS10T). Anyway, my main reason for replying was your question on colors.
We went with dark green / desert camo on a couple of them, and white/black camo on the 128T because it's what they had in stock. I can't tell any real difference in surface temps - they all get hot in direct sunlight. We usually just splash a little water on them to cool 'em off.
We don't really take ours on any big lakes, but if I were going to I would seriously consider one of the bright orange or lime green colors. Something really bright and obnoxious so anyone zipping by can see you easier.

Yakman22

I really don't think color matters, just splash a little water on them and you will be fine. I've been in both the SG 130 and the 110, both are good yaks in my opinion. I've also been in about every Jackson there is and I think the vibes paddle just as good. I do think the Jacksons are made better tho. I personally have a Old Town Predator MX and I LOVE IT. Look up Cedar Creek in Hiram, Ga. they have a pretty good selection and are hard to beat privce wise(plus their good folks). Good luck with whatever you choose, I'm almost certain you'll enjoy it

ucfireman

Side track. Everyone says get a comfortable seat and a comfortable PFD.
So is the SG110/130 seat comfortable? and what about the auto/manual inflate PFD?
Or other suggestions?

Coenen

Side track. Everyone says get a comfortable seat and a comfortable PFD.
So is the SG110/130 seat comfortable? and what about the auto/manual inflate PFD?
Or other suggestions?
Seat in my SG is super comfy.

Try some different PFD's. I just don't think I could trust a self-inflating model with my life, but that's me.

ccbiggz

I have a Vibe SG130 and love it. I'm a big guy and can say it is very comfortable and stable. I've sat in mine for several hours at a stretch. It's also easy to paddle and fast. I don't think you would go wrong with getting one.

As for the PFD. I got a Stohlquist Piseas. It's made for Kayak fishing and is very comfortable. I don't think about having it on when I'm wearing it. It has two large pockets on the front. I keep my Glock 23 40 cal, phone and wallet in the pockets and still have a little room left.

dank1296

Take a look at Crescent Kayaks new line of fishing kayaks. They are in Carrollton. Kayaks are American made.

ucfireman

Another question but off first topic.
I saw Old Towne offers a kayak with a trolling motor. So raises the question.
Has anyone cut the shaft on a trolling motor and put it through the scupper hole with success? I'm not talking mounting it beside you or on the back (seen that). And would a small 12v battery (like used for a deer feeder or solar fence) power it? I know it wouldn't for long but could it?

SouthGa Fisher

Another question but off first topic.
I saw Old Towne offers a kayak with a trolling motor. So raises the question.
Has anyone cut the shaft on a trolling motor and put it through the scupper hole with success? I'm not talking mounting it beside you or on the back (seen that). And would a small 12v battery (like used for a deer feeder or solar fence) power it? I know it wouldn't for long but could it?

So with Feelfree Lures like mine, there is a "sonar pod" that is made to mount a fishfinder on. Quite a few people cut the trolling motor in half and rewire it to some kind of variable speed controller I think. Controlling the kayak while using a trolling motor I believe is much better with a rudder, well I guess controlling it even while paddling is easier with a rudder...I don't think you'll get much support for a scupper mounted motor...pretty weak area of the kayak. As for the battery, lithium is supposedly the way to go. A deer feeder battery powers my Helix 5 for about 4 or 5 hours, so I'd up it on the battery which will add weight.

Personally, I like paddling better (it is after all, a kayak). But I don't knock anyone that adds a motor. It's all personal preference.