Lake lanier Striper trip for disabled folks (UPDATE)

krazywayne

I would like to say to all who put this on! THANK YOU. It is really an eye opener as to how good we have it and a testimony to the human spirit to see the people have such high spirits and energy and just all around love of life! Thank you and I look forward to being a part of future events!

krazywayne

Here are a few pics of our day, we had several blowups and a bunch of dead skint back baits! Only boated 3 decent spots but two were on a double up...We did get Sully hooked up to what felt to be a monster stripe, and after fighting him a few minutes he decided he wanted to run for the tree tops:banginghe:banginghe.... then later we had him hooked up and fought him to the boat and as soon as he came into view (looked to be about 10 pounds or so) he just spit out the hook.:huh::huh: Sully and Tammy look as if they were having the time of their life. After 18 years Sully was finally able to get back on the water, his injury happened 18 years ago and was a water related injury, needless to say Tammy said she didn't sleep a wink the night before. All in all the heart some of these guys showed just brings a "pollen related" watery eye to me. I cannot say enough how touched I was to be a part of this event!

PS. It was all my pleasure meeting some of you guys that i see on here regularly! Look forward to fishing with all of y'all! GOD BLESS you all for helping out!:cheers:

Attachments

• 2012-03-23_10-35-47_141.jpg
    2012-03-23_10-35-47_141.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 303
  • 2012-03-23_09-54-16_101.jpg
    2012-03-23_09-54-16_101.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 303
  • 2012-03-23_08-03-21_582.jpg
    2012-03-23_08-03-21_582.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 306
  • 2012-03-23_07-24-26_840.jpg
    2012-03-23_07-24-26_840.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 310

Lanier Jim

Awesome guys - this is just another example of what makes this forum the best around.

LJ

doodleflop

Yesterday was such a wonderful day. Not only was I blessed to be able to volunteer for this but seeing the smiles and laughter was incredible.

I went out with Jon and his friend Ryan. Jon served in both Iraq and Afghanistan. He survived 3 bullets to his chest 2 of then stopped by his vest and the third glanced off his vest through his right upper chest he also had a RPG blow up behind him leaving shrapnel in his legs and an IED leaving shrapnel in his back. Jon was told he would loose his leg and never walk again but Jon told the doctor he would walk again. But my friends not only does this man walk but he can put a whooping on a striper when the rod goes down.

We had a long wonderful day on the lake Jon boated his personal best striper at 12 pounds

3697c8ec.jpg

Not long after that he caught a 4lb 8oz spotted bass

c074a62c.jpg

We had a medium gizzard way behind the boat on a float and about the time we had settled down the rod goes down and about the time I grab it the fish let go

51e1c135.jpg

Jon decided to let his friend Ryan get the next fish and I hate to say it but that was a mistake::ke: as Ryan caught the best striper and his biggest fresh water fish ever at 15lb

9f12df14.jpg

A little while later he boated two more spots

f8097ae8.jpg

911b5152.jpg

We pulled Umbrella rigs for the last hour without succes and headed in. It was a great day though we caught fish and heard some good stories. It makes me feel so greatful to have men and women like Jon that have and will continue fighting for me and my country!

0fe8d358.jpg

After the event they had to leave so my first mate for the day went back out to finish drowning bait and reflect on our day. We caught one more 12lb striper and as we were pulling in the lines to go home I looked up and saw this

997c1862.jpg

It couldn't have been a better ending to a day spent with such wonderful people! Thank you Jon and Ryan for your time and I'll be in touch with you about more fishing real soon.

krazywayne

great story doodleflop, good to meet you brother!

doodleflop

I almost forgot to post our entertainment for the day. This guy would come by for a cracker or three and every so often bring his girlfriend with him to eat and off they'd go.

0e2a3da3.jpg

fishingga

http://s465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/kjprather/OWL/?action=view&current=OWLpairing.mp4

http://s465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/kjprather/OWL/?action=view&current=OWLStriper.mp4

OWLSpot1.jpg

Sorry I could not edit the video so it is very raw.

First video shows how many participated in the event and did not capture all.

Had the opportunity to take out Wilbur (who happened to be a former fishery biologist from OK) and his helper Kerim (who was born in Turkey) Both great to fish with. With me was my regular fishing partner Kevin. Had a blast catching spots, a striper and a catfish. Wish I had more pictures. Was a great event and plan to do the next one in May.

Last edited:

Jasper

What a great event! Kudos to Tim aka Arrow Flinger and the rest of the OWL folks..........you guys made a bunch of people very happy last Friday.

I had the priveledge of tagging along with Jeff Blair.......what a great guy and guide. Our fisherman Glenn had a blast. At one point as he fought a big striper he said "this is the most fun I've ever had!" That made my day. :cheers:

Attachments

• OWL.jpg
    OWL.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 259
  • OWL 4.jpg
    OWL 4.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 262
  • OWL 3.jpg
    OWL 3.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 243
  • OWL 2.jpg
    OWL 2.jpg