Chainsaw?

riverbank

I think you'll be pleased with the 261 for a homeowner type saw. Stihl don't really make a bad product. Husky don't either if you be sure to get the XP models. (I think it's XP) Whatever there pro models are.

Robert28

the MS261 is a pro saw (50cc) and one of the best in that size range. Between that or a MS260(model before the 261) or a 346xp Husky, you can't go wrong.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
We use saws every day, month after month, year after year. Brutally. On the ground. Up in the trees. We have Stihls. We have Huskys. We don't have any other kind. Both are good saws. Neither one outlasts the other, as far as I can see. We have both that have been going strong for years. You can't go wrong with either, as long as you get the commercial instead of the fake Home Depot version of either.

What he said.^ I have one of each and both of them get the job done. Throw in a skip chain and you should be good to go.

riverbank

I think a skip chain is only necessary on real long bars. And it just makes them cut faster because of less teeth and more Raker's. I could be totally wrong, but I think with and long bar and in big wood less teeth and more Raker's help keep the cut cleaner and therefore cut a tad faster. On smaller stuff I don't see it necessary. Seen a guy using one on a big saw he was milling lumber with.

tree cutter 08

The 261 is a excellent saw. High power in a small package. Its one of the smallest pro saws. I always use the skip tooth chains, even on the 16 inch bars. Less teeth equals less teeth to sharpen! Be sure and buy the stihl chains, yellow box. No other chain will cut as good. Green box chains have safety drags and don't cut as good. Oregon and husky chains and others just don't compare to the stihl chains.

oops1

Buzzard Expert
The 261 is a excellent saw. High power in a small package. Its one of the smallest pro saws. I always use the skip tooth chains, even on the 16 inch bars. Less teeth equals less teeth to sharpen! Be sure and buy the stihl chains, yellow box. No other chain will cut as good. Green box chains have safety drags and don't cut as good. Oregon and husky chains and others just don't compare to the stihl chains.

Thanks for the tip.. I've ventured from the OEM chain a time or two and got bit.. Didn't realize stihl had two different grades. Good heads up