Thinking about a new 6hp Tohatsu for my jon boat

Bream Pole

motor

I had a 2 stroke 25 one the best motor's I have ever owned.

hipster dufus

i owned a 9.9. bought it at online outboards. used it to push a 1448 jon. good motor. had a tree hit it and had to buy the nissan cowling because it was cheaper. sold it and boat to a friend. have to watch the quality of your gas with the 4 strokes. always use stabil or something similar. online outboards was easy to deal with. do call em on phone to see if u can get some kinda special price. i own a 30 hp efi 4 stroke tohatsu now. it is on my 1648 jon. love the efi and pt/t. good luck ppm if i can help.

44magpastor

i owned a 9.9. bought it at online outboards. used it to push a 1448 jon. good motor. had a tree hit it and had to buy the nissan cowling because it was cheaper. sold it and boat to a friend. have to watch the quality of your gas with the 4 strokes. always use stabil or something similar. online outboards was easy to deal with. do call em on phone to see if u can get some kinda special price. i own a 30 hp efi 4 stroke tohatsu now. it is on my 1648 jon. love the efi and pt/t. good luck ppm if i can help.

Good info. Thank you!
I just went to my local dealer trying to find a motor. They had 2 small outboards, one 9.9 Suzuki and an 8 hp Honda. They were out of my price range.

I asked if they had anything used. No.
I asked if they had anything new....but smaller. No.

That was it from the guy. No "We can order you something" or "We expect to get more motors in later" or "Give me your number, let me see what I can do".

I had to pry information out of the guy, after I said no to the larger motor. If I wasn't going to buy what he had in the showroom, he wasn't interested.

No problem. Onlineoutboards has what I want everyday. I was just trying to support a local business first

ribber

I'm not familiar with the new 4 strokes, but their older 2 strokes were good engines and cheaper than the big names.
I had a 30hp for 9 years and ran it hard, no issues. Have a 50hp now and it's been good.

Bream Pole

Tohatsu

Tohatsu and Mercury are not identical motors from what I have been told; although Tohatsu does make the smaller Mercury Motors for Brunswick. However it seems they are built to Mercury specifications and maybe design and Tohatsu is a better quality motor in the opinion of mechanics I have talked to who work on both.

Brewskis

Tohatsu and Mercury are not identical motors from what I have been told; although Tohatsu does make the smaller Mercury Motors for Brunswick. However it seems they are built to Mercury specifications and maybe design and Tohatsu is a better quality motor in the opinion of mechanics I have talked to who work on both.

Perhaps you're referring to the larger size outboards? I've heard from numerous other sources, including dealers (seems they would say the more expensive motor, Mercury, is better in some way in order to sell more of them), that the smaller displacement Mercury outboards are the exact same as the corresponding Tohatsu outboards except for badging.

That said, I originally ordered the Tohatsu from Onlineoutboards.com. I immediately got a call saying it was out of stock (not sure why the website wasn't up-to-date). I ended up paying a bit more for the in-stock Mercury equivalent outboard, and it was delivered two days later for free. Also, they threw in the five year warranty for free. Nothing but good to say about them.

O.P.: From my research, can't beat their prices. Service was great, and the motor is top notch. I say go for it!

Perhaps you're referring to the larger size outboards? I've heard from numerous other sources, including dealers (seems they would say the more expensive motor, Mercury, is better in some way in order to sell more of them), that the smaller displacement Mercury outboards are the exact same as the corresponding Tohatsu outboards except for badging.

Small Tohatsu, Nissan, and Mercury are made on the same line. Only difference is the paint and the decals.

Mercury dealers will tell you about "Mercury Specs" so you don't save several hundred dollars by buying the same motor with a funny Japanese name

Feel free to enlighten us as to what "Mercury specs" their motors meet that the Tohatsu don't.

:pop:

Reminds me of gun dealers telling you that the Remington shotguns sold in Wal Mart are "seconds."

Bream Pole

outboards

I was just reporting what mechanic said who worked on both. I have no personal knowledge and shouldn't have spoken so authoritatively. May all forgive me.

Never having been to an assembly line and watched what was going on; I really couldn't vouch for what you say. It may be just a matter of paint color and decals.

Both are good motors. Having owned a Tohatsu; I would recommend them.

I will say that many, if not most, companies when they outsource have their own specs and ways of doing things; makes sense as after all the item is being made for them to be sold under their brand name.

Brewskis

Small Tohatsu, Nissan, and Mercury are made on the same line. Only difference is the paint and the decals.

Mercury dealers will tell you about "Mercury Specs" so you don't save several hundred dollars by buying the same motor with a funny Japanese name

Feel free to enlighten us as to what "Mercury specs" their motors meet that the Tohatsu don't.

:pop:

Reminds me of gun dealers telling you that the Remington shotguns sold in Wal Mart are "seconds."

Thanks for confirming. Like I said, I would have expected the dealer to push the higher priced motor (Mercury), but they were the ones who confirmed the Tohatsu was the exact same motor. Just a different decal.

Funny thing is that the Tohatsu comes with a longer factory warranty (five year). The Mercury comes with a factory three year warranty, but Onlineoutboards.com threw in the extra two year promotional warranty at the time I bought mine. Otherwise, I probably would have waited until the Tohatsu was back in stock.

Seems like name recognition and advertising are the only reasons why the smaller Mercury outboards are more expensive.

Brewskis

Anybody have any experience with one? Seems pretty reasonably priced at onlineoutboards.com

Not sure if you're still considering this motor, but I can now give better feedback on this exact one. I decided that the even smaller Mercury outboard I had (referenced above) just wasn't enough after adding my casting deck, bow mount trolling motor and larger battery. The Tohatsu 6 HP was just what I was looking for.

As far as I can tell, this motor is the exact same as the corresponding Mercury sans Mercury stickers. The motor starts up effortlessly cold or hot. It has the option of using the built-in internal tank, or hooking up to an external tank (which is what I'm using).

This motor is pushing 450+ pounds up the Etowah at 12 MPH (GPS) at half throttle (still breaking in the motor). I don't anticipate it going too much faster at full throttle after break-in, but still faster than I expected for a flat-bottom jon with this much weight. Plus, it's got the Tohatsu five year warranty. For my application, it's the perfect blend of weight, power, price and quality.

A couple pics of the motor and the boat it's pushing:

IMG_0660.JPG

IMG_0678.JPG

I have an older model 2 stroke 40hp Tohatsu on my boat. Has been SUPER reliable. Even in the winter months she fires right up!

The Fever

Not sure if you're still considering this motor, but I can now give better feedback on this exact one. I decided that the even smaller Mercury outboard I had (referenced above) just wasn't enough after adding my casting deck, bow mount trolling motor and larger battery. The Tohatsu 6 HP was just what I was looking for.

As far as I can tell, this motor is the exact same as the corresponding Mercury sans Mercury stickers. The motor starts up effortlessly cold or hot. It has the option of using the built-in internal tank, or hooking up to an external tank (which is what I'm using).

This motor is pushing 450+ pounds up the Etowah at 12 MPH (GPS) at half throttle (still breaking in the motor). I don't anticipate it going too much faster at full throttle after break-in, but still faster than I expected for a flat-bottom jon with this much weight. Plus, it's got the Tohatsu five year warranty. For my application, it's the perfect blend of weight, power, price and quality.

A couple pics of the motor and the boat it's pushing:

IMG_0660.JPG

IMG_0678.JPG

That is an eerily similar set up to what I want to do with my new boat. I inherited it from my father who bought it in 1986. Only difference is I have the 15 Nissan on there. It sat up for a while so I am working on the carb right now. I can't find a repair manual anywhere so I guess I will have to order one.

I will confirm this motor is wonderful. Before it sat up the joker flat was perfect. Started super easily, ran beautifully, and sipped gas. I am eager to get it functioning better!

Fletch_W

Banned
12mph at half throttle with a 6hp going against the current with a loaded 12 foot jonboat is not consistent with what I know to be true.

Not calling you a liar, just saying something isn't right.

whchunter

Parts

A buddy of mine has a 50HP which he used ethanol gas in. The boat repair shop has had it for over 45 days and says a part is on back order.