Opinion needed

jeremyledford

Alright guys, everyone has an opinion and preference, let me hear yours.

I really like fishing a jerk bait. That said, after 800 casts in a day (literally) I start to get uncomfortable and tired. The worst of which, is blisters on my hands.

I really like round baitcasters for cranking, and often use a calcutta or citica. But after all day, my hands are wore out. I use super glue on my hands to provide a layer which is awesome for blisters....but is there a better way?

What rod/reel combo is your favorite for a jerkbait? I need something that i can really jerk on and won't slip in my hand. :rofl:

BoosterC

That's why they call it blistering rather than catching.

Do you play golf, too, using only a 3 wood?

Vance1012

I use a Powell diesel 7ft med hvy cranking rod for jerkbaits with a low profile reel. That Powell rod is the lightest rod I've found for a cranking rod(which I like for jerkbaits) also it might actually be my lightest rod and I have some avids and e6x rods. Once you cut down on weight and profile it'll help a lot with fatigue. Also one last thing using a cranking rod for jerkbaits helps with the fatigue in my opinion because of the bend of the rod doesn't feel like you're pulling as hard.

jeremyledford

I use a Powell diesel 7ft med hvy cranking rod for jerkbaits with a low profile reel. That Powell rod is the lightest rod I've found for a cranking rod(which I like for jerkbaits) also it might actually be my lightest rod and I have some avids and e6x rods. Once you cut down on weight and profile it'll help a lot with fatigue. Also one last thing using a cranking rod for jerkbaits helps with the fatigue in my opinion because of the bend of the rod doesn't feel like you're pulling as hard.

This is the type of info I'm looking for. Would you suggest a medium powered rod for jerk bait?

Vance1012

If you're not gonna use a glass cranking rod like I do then yes. Depending on how tall you are something like a 6'6" to 6'10" medium extra fast or fast rod. You want a shorter rod so you can jerk straight down without slapping the water this makes it easier to fish a jerkbait all day.

Vance1012

Just remember a jerkbait is another treble hook bait you want some give in a rod to help so you don't lose fish. That's why if you go to a tackle shop and look at cranking rods they all have parabolic actions. Of course this is all just my personal opinion based on experience and tips from fellow anglers.

jeremyledford

I'm 6'0'' and take my duck boat with a lower front deck more than I take my bass boat because of the huge savings in fuel. Looks like I need a 6'6" glass.

Vance1012

If you get a glass rod you'll want either a med heavy or heavy action that way you'll have the backbone. If you get a regular rod then get a medium. I advice going to you're local tackle shop and get a feel for some. I actually have a eye on the Loomis e6x 7' heaving cranking rod it has that parabolic bend but a good backbone. Being 6' tall you could probably get away with a 7 footer I'm 6'3 and doesn't bother me a whole lot

jeremyledford

If you get a glass rod you'll want either a med heavy or heavy action that way you'll have the backbone. If you get a regular rod then get a medium. I advice going to you're local tackle shop and get a feel for some. I actually have a eye on the Loomis e6x 7' heaving cranking rod it has that parabolic bend but a good backbone. Being 6' tall you could probably get away with a 7 footer I'm 6'3 and doesn't bother me a whole lot

Thanks a lot for the help!

Alright guys, everyone has an opinion and preference, let me hear yours.

I really like fishing a jerk bait. That said, after 800 casts in a day (literally) I start to get uncomfortable and tired. The worst of which, is blisters on my hands.

I really like round baitcasters for cranking, and often use a calcutta or citica. But after all day, my hands are wore out. I use super glue on my hands to provide a layer which is awesome for blisters....but is there a better way?

What rod/reel combo is your favorite for a jerkbait? I need something that i can really jerk on and won't slip in my hand. :rofl:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Please check your PM'S...