jug question

donald_5d

do jugs have to be labeled with your name and address as a trot line is? I looked at the regulations and it doesn't specifically say, it only mentions trot lines have to have the info on them.

greg_n_clayton

This has been the topic of some heated debate in the past !! I say that if you are responsible, put your name and number on them so they can be returned if lost. If you are not and don't care what happens to your lost jugs, then don't label them. I was thinking they were looking at rewording the book to read they should be treated as a trotline, which in my opinion, they are one. Just not secured with one hook.

LureheadEd

DNR doesn't even know the answer to this question...I've called a couple of times over the last 6 or 7 years to ask about it ( I think it should be law ) and get a different answer every time...

Last time I heard No you don't have to label them, No there's no limit on how many ( even over the 50 hook rule), and No you don't have to check them everyday....

little rascal

jugs and set lines

this is straight from the dnr website.

Set hooks and Jugs:
Only channel catfish, flathead catfish, American shad, hickory shad , and nongame fish (those not listed under freshwater game fish daily limits) may be taken with set hooks and jugs.
You must possess a valid sport fishing license when fishing set hooks and jugs.
It is illegal to use jugs on Lake Tobesofkee and state park lakes.
There are no other restrictions on the use of set hooks and jugs (number of, season, dimensions, materials, etc.). However, DNR encourages anglers using these methods to check them regularly, remove them at the end of the fishing day, and avoid areas popular with recreational boaters.

greg_n_clayton

this is straight from the dnr website.

Set hooks and Jugs:
Only channel catfish, flathead catfish, American shad, hickory shad , and nongame fish (those not listed under freshwater game fish daily limits) may be taken with set hooks and jugs.
You must possess a valid sport fishing license when fishing set hooks and jugs.
It is illegal to use jugs on Lake Tobesofkee and state park lakes.
There are no other restrictions on the use of set hooks and jugs (number of, season, dimensions, materials, etc.). However, DNR encourages anglers using these methods to check them regularly, remove them at the end of the fishing day, and avoid areas popular with recreational boaters.

Alright then !! Thanky, hadn't seen that.......yet !!

LTZ25

I was bass fishing at Sinclair last week and saw a noodle all by itself getting pulled all around the cove , no one or any more noodles around so I just had to check it , 6-8 lb blue on it .

riprap

I was bass fishing at Sinclair last week and saw a noodle all by itself getting pulled all around the cove , no one or any more noodles around so I just had to check it , 6-8 lb blue on it .

Terrible. I have seen that at Sinclair too many times.

bigchooch58

i always put my name and phone number on noodles /i moved from ga to texas last year and now here your jugs or noodles must be white and your name and phone number and the date on them / comercial fishing must use orange colored / i duct tape all my old noodles with white duct tape and i found out it helps in the bouyancy of them /and i just change the date with a sharpie and small piece of tape so it easy to change /at west point lake i looked for one noodle a half a day then got a phone call from a angler who found it and a 25 lb flathead so it does work putting your info on them

Nuttin Better

The DNR agents that I have talked with have said that jugs and limb lines have to follow the same rules as trotlines. They must have your name and telephone number on them, you are limited to 50 hooks and that do have to be attended.

LureheadEd

The DNR agents that I have talked with have said that jugs and limb lines have to follow the same rules as trotlines. They must have your name and telephone number on them, you are limited to 50 hooks and that do have to be attended.

I hope it's true.... Maybe it's in the "Big Book of Rules and Regs"....It'd be nice if they worded it like that in the copy we can get...

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

You do realize that it's illegal to tamper with or take fish off of somebody else's jug, don't you? Not to mention a good way to get in a fight.

LTZ25

You do realize that it's illegal to tamper with or take fish off of somebody else's jug, don't you? Not to mention a good way to get in a fight.

I just looked at it , I think it was lost because there were no others in that area , I checked it on the way out after watching it for an hour. I bet no body would want to fight me for looking at the fish . Also this had no tag on it , looks like trash floating in the water .

Nuttin Better

This is what was pointed out to me by a DNR agent from the headquarters office last year. What you see below is what is written in the actual law. What you see in the Game & Fish regulations book is an explanation of the law but not the actual written law. A sport trotline is one line or a combination of lines. A combination of lines is what includes jugs and limb lines. All of the following rules apply to trot lines, jugs and limb lines.

Sport Trotlines & Jugs
• A “sport trotline” is one line or a combination
of lines using less than 51 hooks. Sport
trotlines must be:
1. Marked with the owner’s name and
address and with visible buoys
2. Submerged at least three feet below the
surface of the water
3. Attended regularly and removed after
the completed fishing trip.
• Unmarked or unattended trotlines will be
confiscated by DNR. It is unlawful to use
any sport trotline within one-half mile below
any lock or dam.
• Only catfish and nongame fish (year-round)
and American and Hickory shad during shad
season may be taken with trotlines.
• Trotlines and jugs are not permitted on Lake
Tobesofkee or any State Park lake.
• Use of 51 or more hooks is considered

fredw

Retired Moderator
This is what was pointed out to me by a DNR agent from the headquarters office last year. What you see below is what is written in the actual law. What you see in the Game & Fish regulations book is an explanation of the law but not the actual written law. A sport trotline is one line or a combination of lines. A combination of lines is what includes jugs and limb lines. All of the following rules apply to trot lines, jugs and limb lines.

Sport Trotlines & Jugs
• A “sport trotline� is one line or a combination
of lines using less than 51 hooks. Sport
trotlines must be:
1. Marked with the owner’s name and
address and with visible buoys
2. Submerged at least three feet below the
surface of the water
3. Attended regularly and removed after
the completed fishing trip.
• Unmarked or unattended trotlines will be
confiscated by DNR. It is unlawful to use
any sport trotline within one-half mile below
any lock or dam.
• Only catfish and nongame fish (year-round)
and American and Hickory shad during shad
season may be taken with trotlines.
• Trotlines and jugs are not permitted on Lake
Tobesofkee or any State Park lake.
• Use of 51 or more hooks is considered

Here's the actual code:

O.C.G.A. § 27-4-32 (Copy w/ Cite)
Pages: 2
O.C.G.A. § 27-4-32

GEORGIA CODE
Copyright 2014 by The State of Georgia
All rights reserved.

*** Current Through the 2014 Regular Session ***

TITLE 27. GAME AND FISH
CHAPTER 4. FISH
ARTICLE 2. NONCOMMERCIAL FISHING
PART 1. GENERAL PROVISIONS

O.C.G.A. § 27-4-32 (2014)

§ 27-4-32. Sport trotlines

Sport trotlines must be marked with the owner's name and address and with visible buoys and must be submerged at least three feet below the surface of the water. Such trotlines must be attended regularly and removed after the completed fishing trip. Unmarked or unattended lines will be confiscated by personnel of the department. As used in this Code section, "sport trotlines" means one line or a combination of lines using less than 51 hooks. It shall be unlawful to use any sport trotline within one-half mile below any lock or dam on any of the fresh waters of this state.

HISTORY: Code 1933, § 45-706, enacted by Ga. L. 1977, p. 396, § 1; Ga. L. 1988, p. 306, § 1.

Note it also says the sport trotline has to submerged three feet under the water. Tough to do with jugs unless the jug is considered to be the buoy.

I hope it's true.... Maybe it's in the "Big Book of Rules and Regs"....It'd be nice if they worded it like that in the copy we can get...

Well, they were wrong. What else can we say.

Next time you run into those "DNR agents", write their names down, send them to me, and I'll see that they are reported to the right people.

Nuttin Better

Well, they were wrong. What else can we say.

Next time you run into those "DNR agents", write their names down, send them to me, and I'll see that they are reported to the right people.

Who are the right people? I called the headquarters office and was given this information from there. Is there someone else other than DNR that gives out explanations of their rules and regulations?