Surge Protector

NugeForPres

Can anyone recommend a good surge protector for a 30 amp service on a travel trailer? I would prefer a portable unit. There are so many on the market, so I figure I would gather some trusted opinions. Thanks!

Greene728

Progressive Industries and nothing else!
Full lifetime warranty, complete protection (surge, low/high voltage, open neutral/ground, etc.), digital display, automatically cuts power if a fault exists then cuts power back on when it detects the issue has been corrected, and class leading customer service. Just google and read their reviews. They speak for themselves!

Get the true EMS and not just surge protection as a surge is actually much less common than other issues like listed above. Its cheap, cheap insurance! I have the PI 50amp hardwired unit with remote display.

https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Industries-EMS-PT30C-Portable-Protector/dp/B003AL23TC

Last edited:

LTZ25

Im thinking that would saved me this weekend ,I overloaded my 30amp service and burned a wire on my A/C , was fortunate to have a service man to come out on Friday evening .

Greene728

Im thinking that would saved me this weekend ,I overloaded my 30amp service and burned a wire on my A/C , was fortunate to have a service man to come out on Friday evening .

I had two different instance's. One was low voltage, and the other was a lighting strike at home while it was plugged up under the barn. The last one fried my control board on the convertor, a/c unit circuit and t/stat, and the tv. That was with my other 5th wheel. I put the hardwired 50 amp progressive EMS in my new camper soon as I brought it home. The appliances and other electronics in these things are to expensive and to sensitive to not have something IMO. I highly recommend one myself! I like the hardwired units as I don't even have to think about it. If the camper is plugged in, its in use. Not to mention out of the weather and the view of sticky hands.

westom

... ,I overloaded my 30amp service and burned a wire on my A/C , ...
It is called a circuit breaker. It must trip long before any wire is damaged. Either a breaker is completely defective (is it Federal Pacific?). Or that wire was grossly undersized.

First is a complete and unacceptable failure. Second is even a code violation.

660griz

Progressive Industries and nothing else!
Full lifetime warranty, complete protection (surge, low/high voltage, open neutral/ground, etc.), digital display, automatically cuts power if a fault exists then cuts power back on when it detects the issue has been corrected, and class leading customer service. Just google and read their reviews. They speak for themselves!

Get the true EMS and not just surge protection as a surge is actually much less common than other issues like listed above. Its cheap, cheap insurance! I have the PI 50amp hardwired unit with remote display.

https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Industries-EMS-PT30C-Portable-Protector/dp/B003AL23TC

Absolutely. I have the same as you. Wiring issues are rather common in campgrounds.
I thought about the portable but, was worried about theft. If you get a portable, get the device that secures it to the box.

LTZ25

It is called a circuit breaker. It must trip long before any wire is damaged. Either a breaker is completely defective (is it Federal Pacific?). Or that wire was grossly undersized.

First is a complete and unacceptable failure. Second is even a code violation.

I didn't do a good job of explaining the issue , the wire that burned was inside the air conditioner on the roof . But I guess I caused a problem when I flipped breaker back on .

poohbear

Another vote for progressive Ind. without a doubt the best saves me all the time from low voltage

NugeForPres

I placed my order for the Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X. Thank you all for the input!