Tech Fans KICKER UPDATE

across the river

Tech didn't sign any kickers. He must be a PWO, but a great accomplishment none the less.

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
I’m sure he’s a good kid and a good kicker. I wish him well. I also hope Tech continues to suck

westcobbdog

My bros wife is his aunt. Had to remind bro that tech actually has had a few decent kickers like Sisson and Butker.

27metalman

Something forward to look at. I like seeing in-state kids getting signed. Maybe he will arrive and kick Paul Johnson in the tush and get us a coach with a more modern offensive scheme instead of run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run...

Meriwether Mike

Kicker missing hurt GT last year. Hope he is clutch. :cheers:

doenightmare

Gone But Not Forgotten
Must be a smart kid - good luck to the young man and I hope he can kick skrate.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Something forward to look at. I like seeing in-state kids getting signed. Maybe he will arrive and kick Paul Johnson in the tush and get us a coach with a more modern offensive scheme instead of run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run...

That run, run, run, run, gimmick offense of his scares the daylights out of a lot of teams.;)

biggdogg

Tech also signed a stud defensive lineman from my son's school. Ola High School has only been open for 12-13 years and had two players sign D1 this year. Austin Smith is the kid Tech got.

across the river

If Tech doesn't have that offense, they wouldn't have had half of the success they have over the last 10 years or so. Wish all you want for a new coach, but then don't fuss when you turn into Oregon State, Kansas, Syracuse, Virginia, or any of these other schools that thought they could do better than what they had and ended up in the toilet. None of these schools, and Tech even more so, are going to consistently beat "factory schools" running the same thing they are. If you are recruiting for the same system, you are fighting for the same kids, and they won't win those battles verses the factory schools for a multitude of reasons. When you run what they run, you can find high quality kids for your system that may be a little undersized, or don't meet the standard measurements everyone recruits to. You then get your choice of those kids. Georgia Southern's administration has tried to get away from the triple option, only to fall into a death spiral without it. Tracy Ham, Adrian Peterson, or half of the other players they had during the 1-AA national championship seasons were not "factory kids." Do you think the kids that beat Florida or ran all over Alabama a few years ago would have don't that running from and I formation or even a generic spread offense? Not a chance, so be careful what you ask for.

doenightmare

Gone But Not Forgotten
If Tech doesn't have that offense, they wouldn't have had half of the success they have over the last 10 years or so. Wish all you want for a new coach, but then don't fuss when you turn into Oregon State, Kansas, Syracuse, Virginia, or any of these other schools that thought they could do better than what they had and ended up in the toilet. None of these schools, and Tech even more so, are going to consistently beat "factory schools" running the same thing they are. If you are recruiting for the same system, you are fighting for the same kids, and they won't win those battles verses the factory schools for a multitude of reasons. When you run what they run, you can find high quality kids for your system that may be a little undersized, or don't meet the standard measurements everyone recruits to. You then get your choice of those kids. Georgia Southern's administration has tried to get away from the triple option, only to fall into a death spiral without it. Tracy Ham, Adrian Peterson, or half of the other players they had during the 1-AA national championship seasons were not "factory kids." Do you think the kids that beat Florida or ran all over Alabama a few years ago would have don't that running from and I formation or even a generic spread offense? Not a chance, so be careful what you ask for.

Truff^^^^^ Well said atr.

westcobbdog

Y’all are tech fans not me but I would want my team running a more traditional offense to attract overall better players. Don’t know why doenightmare boy is happy losing 3-4 games most years in that system. I am glad they run that junk as no pro style qb will go ever there in that offense where the Qb takes a real thrashing and attempts what 75 passes or less per season.

across the river

Y’all are tech fans not me but I would want my team running a more traditional offense to attract overall better players. Don’t know why doenightmare boy is happy losing 3-4 games most years in that system. I am glad they run that junk as no pro style qb will go ever there in that offense where the Qb takes a real thrashing and attempts what 75 passes or less per season.

Tech is never going to recruit on the same scale as a lot of other schools, regardless of what offense they have. It has way more to do with the entry requirements and major offerings than it does what offense they have. If you think Trenton Thompson or Johnathan Ledbetter would have qualified for Tech academically, I've a beachfront home in Kansas to sell you. Tech doesn't have exercise science, retail merchandising, sports management, or any of this other pretty much worthless degree offerings to just pass some kid through college to play football. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying all of the Tech players are majoring in engineering, but even the easy "athlete degrees" require them to take calculus. That puts them at a disadvantage for the likes of AJ Green and Patrick Peterson who scored a 10 and 9 respectively on the wonderlic test, or Malcolm Mitchell who admits himself that he couldn't read coming out of high school. I read somewhere that Johnson got the administration to allow them to accept a few "non qualifiers", but they try not to, because they don't typically make it academically. Most of your 4 and 5 star recruits coming out of high school are far more concerned with making it into "the league" than they are with school or what they are going to do once football is over, regardless of the fact that most won't sniff the NFL. It is what it is, which is why Tech will never recruit on the level of these other factory schools regardless of what offense they run. This is why they need to run the option. If they didn't it would likely get worse for them, not better. Do you think the service academics do as well as they have if they were running out of the I formation?

westcobbdog

Dude if Tek wants the guy he gets in so yeah they would take Trent Thompson no doubt.
Even lil Joe on sports talk radio said the same thing last week.

across the river

Dude if Tek wants the guy he gets in so yeah they would take Trent Thompson no doubt.

I don't even pull for Tech, but if you believe that ( or anyone named lil' Joe for that matter) you are fooling yourself. The average SAT for a Georgia Tech football player is over 1000. UGA players have to have 800 and some change, and average well less than 1000. The people at Tech know it and are trying to dumb it down some to get more athletes. If dumbed down, poor Trenton wouldn't make it.

http://www.rantsports.com/ncaa-foot...ech-lowering-academic-standards-for-football/

across the river

Saw this today and it made me remember this thread. Again, if you think the admission requirements are the same across the board you are fooling yourself. Notice where Tech, Duke, Stanford, and Vandy are mentioned, and where the Dawgs and Ohio State are mentioned. If you think the admission requirement are the same across the board you are kidding yourself. Not advocating for one side over the other, just pointing out the truth is there is a huge academic difference (on average) between the kids that the schools with the higher graduation rates are taken and the kids the "football factories" are taking.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/...frican-american-athletes-power-5-schools-rise

Last edited:

MudDucker

Staff member
That run, run, run, run, gimmick offense of his scares the daylights out of a lot of teams.;)

I think its more the cheap chop blocking that scares most teams. :mad:

DannyW

I had a conversation with a Ga Tech alumni a few years ago regarding the Ga Tech recruiting requirements. Not just any alumni either...he has his name and picture in the game day program.

According to him, Ga Tech will never win another national championship because they will never, ever, under ANY circumstances lower their academic requirements to the level of the "football factories". Furthermore, I got the impression this did not bother him much.

Interesting commentary , especially considering he was was an All-American player for the 1956 Ga Tech team.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
they will never, ever, under ANY circumstances lower their academic requirements to the level of the "football factories".

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Yeah, Tech has never helped a "student athlete" out... Ever... :rofl::rofl:

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I had a conversation with a Ga Tech alumni a few years ago regarding the Ga Tech recruiting requirements. Not just any alumni either...he has his name and picture in the game day program.

According to him, Ga Tech will never win another national championship because they will never, ever, under ANY circumstances lower their academic requirements to the level of the "football factories". Furthermore, I got the impression this did not bother him much.

Interesting commentary , especially considering he was was an All-American player for the 1956 Ga Tech team.

They should probably go ahead and get rid of their football program and spend that money on their roundball and baseball programs.