Scrapes or Feeder/foodplot

sman

Which do you prefer putting your cams over?

Had a guy tell me last yr that leaving cams over foodplots/feeders after scrapes start appearing was not a good idea. He said he moves all of his onto scrapes. Says you can truly see what you have and that a lot of bucks won't go to the feeders, even after dark.

One yr I did try killdees home brew and made a mock scrape. Got 9 different bucks in a short period of time. So maybe he is right. I would just like some other opinions.

PappyHoel

I don't put mine on food plots. They get stolen easily out in the open, plus I know there will be deer on a food plot. I like to put mine in the woods where I know the deer might be over a mock scrape or mineral site.

GTHunter007

I do both. The scrape pictures/videos, if you find a hot and large community scrape, will be way more enjoyable to look at.

Food plots, IF that is the food of choice for that time will still show plenty of animals, but useless if they are not hammering the plot on a regular basis.

I run 8-12 cameras at a time, I carry one with me everywhere in the woods in case I run across a smoking scrape. Where my cameras have been located over corn piles/mineral sites until late August, I have now moved them to pinch points, scrape sites and major highway trails.

BassHunter25

I like to put mine near (within 100 yds) of a scrape with a little corn. I get the deer on camera when I put it directly on the scrape, but they tend to spook or I don't get a good still shot. They but they will usually find the corn nearby and give you a couple good still shots.

I also like to keep a cam near the plots and feeders with stands on them. But still I have found its better to put a cam a little away from the feeders to catch the big bucks, they like to check out whats going on around the feeder, but they don't like to get to close.

TenPtr

I am all about the scrapes when the time is right. Food is always reliable but a few of the right scrapes will out produce any food setup. Not all scrapes are as active as others so it is important to find that coffee table size "community scrape" to ensure the best results. Scrape cams produce photos of bucks that you never knew existed. Be sure to set the camera up so that it is above eye level and position it so that the licking limb wont block the head/antlers while a buck has his head up in the foliage. Be sure to set your camera so that it captures as many photos as possible because most bucks are only pausing for a brief moment if at all.
You will get less pics than you would over a active food source but almost all of the scrape pics will be bucks.

sman

I moved two over scrapes. Feeder/foodplots about 75 away. Getting pics of bucks not on the feeder cam.