Why was Jesus baptized?

1gr8bldr

It is well known by the Jewish sages and as part of the ritual of becoming a Rabbi , that one had to show publically ones intent to go into de service of God by the Mikva ( Baptism) this is the reason Yeshua did it , not as repenting of sin , that would not apply to him, but Giving his life to the service would as prescribed by the Torah.
Been Baptized by fire would be a total new concept , it was the sign from God to the believers of this new Covenant that they were saved"Baptism by fire is not found as a rule in Judaism.
By this concept then, your saying that all that came to John were being baptized as "giving their lives to service". In Jesus case, he was being baptized as the first to receive the Spirit, not a sinners baptismal. Acts 2 "he received from the Father the promised Holy Spirit" [first of the New Cov]

mtnwoman

Amen, and I believe people are still fleeing the white washed religious crowd for a baptism of repentance.
I just wish more people knew what their repentance was.

Go tell them, so they will know.

Who's going to tell them if we don't? And that may include not being afraid they will be offended. Being offended is not the worst thing that might happen to them, is it?

Lowjack

By this concept then, your saying that all that came to John were being baptized as "giving their lives to service". In Jesus case, he was being baptized as the first to receive the Spirit, not a sinners baptismal. Acts 2 "he received from the Father the promised Holy Spirit" [first of the New Cov]

He seemed to have have been the only one who received Comfirmation from the Holy Spirit and Words of God who testified "this is my beloved Son"in whom I'm pleased , Listen to Him"Giving him license to Start His Messianic Ministry.

1gr8bldr

He seemed to have have been the only one who received Comfirmation from the Holy Spirit and Words of God who testified "this is my beloved Son"in whom I'm pleased , Listen to Him"Giving him license to Start His Messianic Ministry.
Seems more like the first reciprocant of the new covenant

Artfuldodger

Good discussion, I too believe he was the first one to receive the Holy Spirit and the first reciprocate of the New covenant. The first of many to come.
Maybe the only one to receive confirmation of the Holy Spirit from John's baptisms until Christ ascended.

hobbs27

Seems more like the first reciprocant of the new covenant

According to his fulfillment of the seven feast sabbaths, He is the New Covenant!

Artfuldodger

According to his fulfillment of the seven feast sabbaths, He is the New Covenant!

Hebrews 9:15
Therefore he is the mediator of a new covenant, so that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance, since a death has occurred that redeems them from the transgressions committed under the first covenant.

hobbs27

Hebrews 9:15
Therefore he is the mediator of a new covenant, so that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance, since a death has occurred that redeems them from the transgressions committed under the first covenant.

yep..
John 6: 35, 48 I am the bread of life
John 8: 12, 9:5 I am the light of the world
John 8: 58 Before Abraham was, I am
John 10:9 I am the door
John 10:11 I am the good shepherd
John 11:25 I am the resurrection and the life
John 14:6 I am the way, the truth, and the life
John 15:1 I am the true vine

God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM"; and He said, "Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you.'"

Artfuldodger

yep..
John 6: 35, 48 I am the bread of life
John 8: 12, 9:5 I am the light of the world
John 8: 58 Before Abraham was, I am
John 10:9 I am the door
John 10:11 I am the good shepherd
John 11:25 I am the resurrection and the life
John 14:6 I am the way, the truth, and the life
John 15:1 I am the true vine

God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM"; and He said, "Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you.'"

I'm not sure what this has to do with Jesus being the Mediator between God and us.
I AM did send Moses. I AM did send i am, his son.
I don't see Jesus stating in any of those verse above that he is I Am.

John 20:21
Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, even so I am sending you.”

hobbs27

I'm not sure what this has to do with Jesus being the Mediator between God and us.
I AM did send Moses. I AM did send i am, his son.
I don't see Jesus stating in any of those verse above that he is I Am.

John 20:21
Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, even so I am sending you.”

Oh I had to pick on you a bit, but explain this one, after you think about what it is saying.

"I am He who bears witness of Myself, and the Father who sent Me bears witness of me"

Artfuldodger

Oh I had to pick on you a bit, but explain this one, after you think about what it is saying.

"I am He who bears witness of Myself, and the Father who sent Me bears witness of me"

That one is pertinent, the Father bore witness when he sent the Holy Spirit at Jesus' baptism.

Now related to 8:58;

The phrase “I am” occurs many other times in the New Testament, and is often translated as “I am he” or some equivalent (“I am he”—Mark 13:6; Luke 21:8; John 13:19; 18:5, 6 and 8. “It is I”—Matt. 14:27; Mark 6:50; John 6:20. “I am the one I claim to be”—John 8:24 and 28.). It is obvious that these translations are quite correct, and it is interesting that the phrase is translated as “I am” only in John 8:58. If the phrase in John 8:58 were translated “I am he” or “I am the one,” like all the others, it would be easier to see that Christ was speaking of himself as the Messiah of God (as indeed he was), spoken of throughout the Old Testament.

http://www.biblicalunitarian.com/videos/john-8-58b

Biblical Unitarianism is not to be confused with Unitarian Universalism.

Biblical Unitarians believe in God, Jesus Christ, and the gift of holy spirit.

We believe that God has essentially given Jesus functional equality with Himself, and that only with regard to the throne is God greater than Jesus (Gen. 41:40; Matt. 28:18).

We believe that Jesus was designated by God to be the mediator between God and man (1 Tim. 2:5).

Last edited:

Artfuldodger

John 5:31-32
31"If I alone testify about Myself, My testimony is not true. 32"There is another who testifies of Me, and I know that the testimony which He gives about Me is true.

John 8:17-18
17 In your Law it is written that the testimony of two people is true.18 I am one witness, and my Father who sent me is the other.

He is using the Jew's own law to show proof of whom he is. Two completely different witnesses.

Artfuldodger

I don't get too hung up on interpretations using, "I AM", "I am he", etc., because most of those interpretations were from Trinitarian biased interpreters.

I feel it goes back to the indwelling of the Holy Spirit as a Helper. The Holy Spirit helps us learn what God is saying, he doesn't completely control our understanding. This is why we have so many different understandings.
The Bible is the Word of God and was initially presented from God to men.
When Christian interpreters received the Holy Spirit, that was the only guidance they themselves received. This was after the Gifts ceased. They did the best they could just as we are doing. The Divine intervention was gone at this time.

hobbs27

I don't get too hung up on interpretations using, "I AM", "I am he", etc., because most of those interpretations were from Trinitarian biased interpreters.

There's a lot of different Interpretations these days. Many have fixed the mistranslation of he11, what about this so called Trinitarian bias, are all the interpretations biased?

Artfuldodger

There's a lot of different Interpretations these days. Many have fixed the mistranslation of he11, what about this so called Trinitarian bias, are all the interpretations biased?

Not anymore than they are about He11 and/or the second coming.
I would say not all of any interpretations are biased.
We are also biased by our indoctrination.
When you read certain scriptures now than when you were younger concerning He11 or the second coming as an example. You now read in a different mindset and it makes more sense.
I might one day be a full Preterist if I'm lead that way to believe. It will be by guidance from the Holy Spirit and will have to be my own decision. Nobody else can do it for me.

hobbs27

Not anymore than they are about He11 and/or the second coming.
I would say not all of any interpretations are biased.
We are also biased by our indoctrination.
When you read certain scriptures now than when you were younger concerning He11 or the second coming as an example. You now read in a different mindset and it makes more sense.
I might one day be a full Preterist if I'm lead that way to believe. It will be by guidance from the Holy Spirit and will have to be my own decision. Nobody else can do it for me.

The YLT is one that corrected he11, it's suppose to be the most literal translation, I don't know what it says about Jesus in relation to God though.

My goal in conversing about covenant eschatology is not to convert others. It started out as an attempt to disprove it to myself, just as the eternal punishment thread. I listen to what others say and consider their views. Now I just speak of it because it shows just how much greater Jesus is than the church teaches, and that's exciting to me.

Artfuldodger

The YLT is one that corrected he11, it's suppose to be the most literal translation, I don't know what it says about Jesus in relation to God though.

My goal in conversing about covenant eschatology is not to convert others. It started out as an attempt to disprove it to myself, just as the eternal punishment thread. I listen to what others say and consider their views. Now I just speak of it because it shows just how much greater Jesus is than the church teaches, and that's exciting to me.

I understand and I have no intent on converting others either. My intent is just to just have everyone read the Bible as if they found it on a deserted island as Francis Chan suggests.