Planting new grounds for dove

B Man

We have 7.5 acres of new grounds we just had cleared. Ground still has some left over debris, I've already smoothed it pretty well with the disk on our tractor. Going to plant Brown top because we can broadcast plant with good results as I was recommended. Already put lime in the ground also but I don't like the idea running our planter through it for 2-3 years.
My question, was wondering if I strip planted half the acres to mature first season and second half of the acres a few weeks later for the second season if the Brown top produces enough seed for a good shoot doing this? Was thinking about planting 30-50 yard wide strips and alternate early season strip, second season strip and so on. I have no experience with Brown top for doves, only shot over other people's fields years ago but mostly all been sun flowers since.

Opinions?

Big L

Brown Top for Doves

Hey B Man,

My experience with Brown Top is that it is difficult for it to last long enough for the later seasons, even if planted somewhat late. I have had somewhat better luck with Dove Proso lasting a little longer; it has a harder seed coat. Usually in our area the doves don't seem to come to the millet as well in the later seasons. By the later seasons there are a lot of farm fields harvested and I guess they are ready for a little variety on the buffet line. Usually, at least in our area, millet, sunflowers, or something else planted specifically for doves is mainly what is available for them to eat on the buffet line in the first season, so they will come. Just my 2 cents...based on our area.
Good luck either way you go :cheers:

L