Looking for taxidermist for African plains animals

MajorMaes

Going on a Safari to South Africa and looking for recommendations on who does quality taxidermy in a 4-5 hour drive from Savannah

MFOSTER

BANNED
Trails end in Macon I would set up before I went and have them direct shipped to them.

DSGB

Fortner Taxidermy in Loganville. Chris is a great guy and will bring them back to life.

biggdogg

Fortner Taxidermy in Loganville. Chris is a great guy and will bring them back to life.

I'll second Fortner. He did my sons deer last year and has my daughters now. I won't have a mount done by anyone else now. Amazing work.

fatback

Fortner's did a warthog for me that is great. He has an alligator of mine now that will be life sized. I have been real impressed with Chris and his work.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
Lee Johnson in Fairburn. I believe he calls his shop Unique's taxidermy. I've had him mount several ducks,an elk and a deer. Museum quality

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Google the one in Washington Ga. they have exotic animals on display.

Jasper

Chris Fortner did my African animals. He's amazing! I'll post some pics when I can

Robust Redhorse

I had mine done in South Africa and shipped back to the Atlanta airport when complete.

My PH suggested it and took me by the taxidermy studio on the way back to the Airport. That outfit did museum-quality work.

Very satisfied and less than 1/2 price including shipping!

What Robust Redhorse said. They see those animals everyday and if there is a problem with say the cape, they usually have an extra one around. Not to many Kudu capes around Macon... And the price is right, you just have to go to the airport and pick up a crate full of goodies!

atlashunter

I always thought they had to be done there before they could be shipped into the US. How does that work getting them to the US before they've been mounted?

firehuntfish

I always thought they had to be done there before they could be shipped into the US. How does that work getting them to the US before they've been mounted?

There is a "dip & pack" process by which the skulls are boiled, and bleached. The capes are de-fleshed, and then dipped in a chemical bath of formic acid and sodium carbonate that eliminates any bacteria. Then they are re-salted and treated with a powered insecticide. The trophy parts must pass through his process to meet the importation criteria of US Customs & USFWS. This process takes anywhere from 90-120 days to complete with any of the better African facilities.