Who's ready?

whitetailfreak

If there's room for one more count me in. Would love to see some of that mountain history.:fine:

Absolutely, anyone who would like to make the trip to Hazel Creek that day is more than welcome. It will be the only opportunity you'll ever have to ride a motorized vehicle( Park Service ferries vehicles across for this day) up Hazel Creek to Bone Valley after being taken across Fontana Lake by boat. That day, we decorate the Bone Valley cemetary, visit the historic Hall Cabin and cemetery, have a creekside dinner, and short Church service near where the Bone Valley Church stood prior to GSMNP days. This is all very near where Kephart lived. It's kind of a Family Reunion.

Killer Kyle

When you get a chance do a little research on "Uncle" Mark Cathey of Deep Creek. He lived on Indian Creek which is a trib of Deep Creek, and was considered by many as one of the best outdoorsman in the Smokies at the turn of the 20th century. He was a mountain man through and through. Cathey's death was particularly fitting.

Mark your calendar, last Sunday in June next year, I'm gonna take you with my family to a cemetery decoration at Bone Valley on Hazel Creek and show you some Smoky Mountain history at its finest. We'll cross Sugar Fork where Kephart lived and wrote "OSH". Let me know if your in.

Count me right in! I read a short write up about that ceremony not long ago. That and the GON magazine fictional series about the turkey "The Admiral" this spring reminded me of something many of us here will appreciate. Do you remember "Paintbrush" from this forum? Ol Cliff was a master mountain turkey hunter. This past opening day of turkey season, his brother and his nephew killed turkeys on their white county property. They went straight to Cliffs grave, put the gobblers up on the headstone, and took a picture to honor Cliff. His niece sent me the picture that afternoon. I was humbled to see the honor and respect of paying tribute to our predecessors the way many old mountain families still do. It really struck a chord in my heart, and I was delighted seeing Paintbrush properly honored and remembered.

whitetailfreak

Count me right in! I read a short write up about that ceremony not long ago. That and the GON magazine fictional series about the turkey "The Admiral" this spring reminded me of something many of us here will appreciate. Do you remember "Paintbrush" from this forum? Ol Cliff was a master mountain turkey hunter. This past opening day of turkey season, his brother and his nephew killed turkeys on their white county property. They went straight to Cliffs grave, put the gobblers up on the headstone, and took a picture to honor Cliff. His niece sent me the picture that afternoon. I was humbled to see the honor and respect of paying tribute to our predecessors the way many old mountain families still do. It really struck a chord in my heart, and I was delighted seeing Paintbrush properly honored and remembered.

Sounds good, Bone Valley is a plan. That's a nice story about Cliff, I remember him well.

Killer Kyle

Not long ago, a man who knew Cliff told me: "When you went hunting with Cliff, you didn't go walking and calling. You went in before daylight, and slipped in right beneath a gobbler on the limb. He didn't go looking for gobblers. He always knew where they were".

I sure wish I had that prowess about me!!

ripplerider

I knew Cliff slightly a long time ago. My friends from White county, three brothers who taught me most of what I know about mtn. hunting, considered the Fains their biggest competitors when it came to deep woods hunting on Chattahoochee and Chestatee. They have tons of respect for their hunting skills.

Whitetailfreak I'd love to be included in your trip to Hazel creek. I've always been interested in that area. I would bring plenty of food!

whitetailfreak

I knew Cliff slightly a long time ago. My friends from White county, three brothers who taught me most of what I know about mtn. hunting, considered the Fains their biggest competitors when it came to deep woods hunting on Chattahoochee and Chestatee. They have tons of respect for their hunting skills.

Whitetailfreak I'd love to be included in your trip to Hazel creek. I've always been interested in that area. I would bring plenty of food!

You got it. I'll touch base with you all a few months prior. We visit Bone Valley every year on the same day thanks to the NPS. The Park staff do a fantastic job making our decorationsa as easy as possible for the older folks.

Dana Young

Cliff was my best friend. We shared many a hunt and killed lots of game . We hunted or fished every day. and worked together at night.

whitetailfreak

Cliff was my best friend. We shared many a hunt and killed lots of game . We hunted or fished every day. and worked together at night.

Dana, I believe with all my heart, that a lifelong huntin' and fishin' buddy is as close to brothers as two men can be without being blood. Mine is helping me pole that bear out of the mountains in the pic a few posts up.

Kodiak629

I hear you Joe, been ready for a while. Plan on going up on Friday (opening day)and staying till Monday afternoon and maybe Tuesday. If you get that big un this season count me in on helping you out. If Im not up camping I'm just about 30 to 40 minutes away. I owe you after all your help with stands and such.

Ron