Quick simple question......

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
My home is Sold/under contract and my realtor text me yesterday inquiring that I acquire the recorded survey of my property for the party buying my home. Their lender wants a copy of the survey and it's a VA loan.

Is this my responsibility?

Seems to me I'm doing their legwork, or their Realtors and mine, much less their bank.

Can't they acquire a copy of my survey @ my county themselves? :huh:

lagrangedave

Gone But Not Forgotten
The bank did the survey for me and it was paid for at closing. They have their own surveyor.

PappyHoel

I don't think that is your responsibility but I'm not a real estate lawyer. I never had to do that and I've purchased and sold a few times.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
The bank did the survey for me and it was paid for at closing. They have their own surveyor.

As far as I know, there is a recorded survey on my property at the county of my residence. Otherwise, how could my home and property be taxed on 1.84 acres and home.

My point here is, why do I have to do either my realtor, their realtor, or their lender, acquiring that survey. With the $$$ that all three of them are going to make off the sale and purchase of my home it seems anyone of them could/should do it, not me.

Is it not public information that any of the 3 can acquire through my county of records?

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
I don't think that is your responsibility but I'm not a real estate lawyer. I never had to do that and I've purchased and sold a few times.

That's my thinking Pappy, I just want to confirm it before I give my realtor a grumpy call back, they are the one that requested that I acquire it for my buyers lender. :huh: :rolleyes:

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Your survey is recorded in the Plat Book at the courthouse. Probably the book and page number are shown on your deed. It is a public record and anyone that wants it can go get a copy of it.

I would tell them that I don't have a copy and if they want one they should go get their copy from the courthouse.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Your survey is recorded in the Plat Book at the courthouse. Probably the book and page number are shown on your deed. It is a public record and anyone that wants it can go get a copy of it.

I would tell them that I don't have a copy and if they want one they should go get their copy from the courthouse.

Yessir, that's what I told them. After speaking to my agent this morning they just thought I may have a copy and could just take a photo of it and send it to them. The buyer is acquiring a VA loan and they were just trying to speed things up.

Thanks.

CAnderson

Just be glad it's a VA loan and not a USDA one. People that bought my old house a month ago had to have 73 different forms, files, papers for their loan that I had supply. They said at closing, that got pushed 8 working days due to the gov't dragging their feet on the paperwork, that they had to submit forms in triplicate and had a dang briefcase full of papers at signing.

Was loosing hair, sleep, and almost my mind after they pushed the closing to the day before the kids were to start school in the new county. Hope that doesn't happen to you too!

Last edited by a moderator:

snookdoctor

It is standard in the residential real estate market for the buyer to obtain and pay for a survey.

westcobbdog

My home is Sold/under contract and my realtor text me yesterday inquiring that I acquire the recorded survey of my property for the party buying my home. Their lender wants a copy of the survey and it's a VA loan.

Is this my responsibility?

Seems to me I'm doing their legwork, or their Realtors and mine, much less their bank.

Can't they acquire a copy of my survey @ my county themselves? :huh:

Are you sure your agent did not just pass on the request from the buyer, to which you in turn reply "no thanks, I do not have one and you did not ask me for a survey in the contract"..if your agent asked the question after you are already in contract, well they could need more training, truthfully..Also, typically a lender might request a survey for say a construction to perm deal or a commercial loan or maybe a land deal, but not a VA..I am thinking the buyers agent is just asking your agent acting like the lender wants one, but no, it's not required and certainly not your problem regardless.

westcobbdog

It is standard in the residential real estate market for the buyer to obtain and pay for a survey.

What's standard is they are rarely a part of residential deals but should be part of every deal, at minimum a boundary line survey but even better a full blown Alta survey showing title including things like easements, utilities, etc..they are almost never done nor requested by the lender.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Are you sure your agent did not just pass on the request from the buyer, to which you in turn reply "no thanks, I do not have one and you did not ask me for a survey in the contract"..if your agent asked the question after you are already in contract, well they could need more training, truthfully..Also, typically a lender might request a survey for say a construction to perm deal or a commercial loan or maybe a land deal, but not a VA..I am thinking the buyers agent is just asking your agent acting like the lender wants one, but no, it's not required and certainly not your problem regardless.

Yessir, I'm pretty sure that's what it was. They were just hoping that I had one. Too be honest, they just didn't communicate that very well in a simple text to me. The text sounded as if they were requesting ME to acquire it for them. It hit me wrong, at the wrong time.

BTW, I almost titled this thread "westcobbdog". :)

95g atl

YES, this ^^^ unless it is indicated differently in your purchase and sale contract.

I don't know the whole story, but "sounds" like your realtor is a rookie and doesn't know much. I'd pass it back on him/her and have them figure it out. Seller should NOT have to pay for a survey unless it is indicated on your contract. Whatever closing costs (amount) you have agreed to pay, that is it - period.

I'm an agent for over 10 years so I kinda know this stuff.

I see this kinda stuff every week, that agents don't know how to do their job and are not looking out for their client.

Glad you cleared it up...............

--------- Man I got stories from utterly incompetent agents. WestCobbDog probably has many as well!!!

On a side note.....had an agent that put in a contract on one of my listings. She did NOT speak English. Yup, you heard that right, NO English, a family member did all the language on the contract, communicated with my via text, email, and phone. The agent. No Speak-y English. (how could she even pass the test, isn't it in ENGLISH?

Four weeks ago, another "foreign" agent told me that because my sellers hung a big mirror in the formal living room, the stud was compromised and had to be removed and replaced (under the sheetrock) ---- and wanted a huge price reduction. How many building contractors heard that kind of story before?

Unbelievable --------- some agents are worse than used car salesman.

karen936

Head Researcher, McDurdellson Enterprises, Inc.
in fla the bank orders the survey