Garage Builder issues need input

1gr8bldr

Woah..... I just saw the pics. This guy has never seen how things are supposed to go together. No experience, at all. With those pics, you have a case. This should never pass inspection. Inspector that passes the unfinished door, and the lack of ceiling joist, properly tied horizontal, attached to the gables, that inspector has zero experience as well. Every inch of exterior has to be covered or painted.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
How did you find this "builder / contractor"?
How thorough was his contract?
Did you get a copy of, or confirm that he has a current business license and GC's license?
Did you get a copy of his insurance for the job?
Did he make you sign a quit claim agreement on the project?

You had a responsibility of due diligence prior to hiring a contractor. Now it is your duty to hire an attorney to cover all of your bases.
From what I've seen, and know about the expanded cost of fixing someone elses mistakes, you are most likely above the $15k limit of the small claims courts in Ga.
There is so much structurally wrong with what has been done that it could well exceed this amount to correct all mistakes, as well as to hold the county inspection department liable for what they passed.

Not an attorney, but looking at the mess you have, I strongly suggest getting one and not attempting to go the cheap route out on making this right. Perhaps check into not getting a local attorney either. It appears you may have fallen victim to enough "cousin" deals here already.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Did this builder have a license to do the work ?
Who designed the work ?
I guess no architect was involved.

dbodkin

Again thanks all very helpful input. I will put it to good use. I'm resolved this dirtbag will do nothing , pay nothing even if I take him to small claims court. The end chapter of the story will be titled "Revenge". I wont tolerate being taken advantage of.

1gr8bldr

If he is not licensed then I fear you will get no where. Hiring unlicensed is always cheaper, yet a red flag that he has not reached an experience level that has brought him to a point of building where people require him to be licensed. Same thing about workers comp and liability. If you don't have it, it's proof that your not good enough to work for anything but unsuspecting homeowners. I'm bonded, licensed 2 states, workers comp and liability. And my work vehicle carries an extreme policy in case I damage a home rather than another car. It takes all this to operate. Because anyone other than homeowners require it. If he were licensed, you would contact the licensing board. They have funds set aside for this, and they would leverage his renewal of his license to see that he fixed this. But without license, you have no recourse of action.