Canned meat

swampstalker24

Anybody over here do any meat canning? Ive been thinking bout getting into it.... Heard it makes a great way to preserve game meat and can be delicious.

PopPop

Gone But Not Forgotten
I never have but I might be fixin to.

PopPop

Gone But Not Forgotten
Itty Bitty's Irma Jerky.

We decided we had too much venison in the freezer with miss Irma raising a ruckus.
My beautiful assistant helped with the Jerky Blaster.

Attachments

• IMG_0598.jpg
    IMG_0598.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 729

Bushwhacker

I've been canning ground venison for years. Got the info from a northern DNR site. Michigan or Minnesota seems like. Grind it, cook it done and can it. Pints and quarts for chili, soup, pasta and tacos.

Patriot44

Banned
I've had more canned venison that I could ever remember. Step mom canned deer stew by the hundreds of qts.

Good too. Sorry, I don't have the exact recipe, but I just remember her cooking stew then canning it.

Matthew6

Banned thug
I've had more canned venison that I could ever remember. Step mom canned deer stew by the hundreds of qts.

Good too. Sorry, I don't have the exact recipe, but I just remember her cooking stew then canning it.

thats a good step mother.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
We used to can sausage when I was growing up. It was the best sausage I ever had. I have tried canned deer meat, and to be honest, I just don't care for it at all. I'm not a boiled meat/stew loving kind of guy.

PopPop

Gone But Not Forgotten
We used to can sausage when I was growing up. It was the best sausage I ever had. I have tried canned deer meat, and to be honest, I just don't care for it at all. I'm not a boiled meat/stew loving kind of guy.

So I have heard.:fine:

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
Last time I was in Georgia a friend of mine gave me several pint jars of mullet. It is good, but I can only eat a little bit at the time because of the salt content.

Bushwhacker

I broke out a pint and made Tacos during the storm and they were great. I don't like the way the stew meat looks when it's canned at all. I don't think you could get the kids and the misses to eat it. Now s far as taste goes that's a different matter! It's down right good over rice, taters and pasta. Check it out on the web before you start.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I broke out a pint and made Tacos during the storm and they were great. I don't like the way the stew meat looks when it's canned at all. I don't think you could get the kids and the misses to eat it. Now s far as taste goes that's a different matter! It's down right good over rice, taters and pasta. Check it out on the web before you start.

Maybe it doesn't look very appealing in the jar, but the taste overrides all other senses. It's fantastic. We can deer and bear. Just yesterday, we canned 11 quarts of bear meat. My kids love it. Most of the time, we serve it in brown gravy over a bed of rice or mashed potatoes. I've taken it to church dinners and didn't tell anyone what it was and no one there suspected it was anything other than pot roast.

37114409232_f1499d4cb3_b.jpg

37144355101_fd5f1bf98f_b.jpg

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
Maybe it doesn't look very appealing in the jar, but the taste overrides all other senses. It's fantastic. We can deer and bear. Just yesterday, we canned 11 quarts of bear meat. My kids love it. Most of the time, we serve it in brown gravy over a bed of rice or mashed potatoes. I've taken it to church dinners and didn't tell anyone what it was and no one there suspected it was anything other than pot roast.

37114409232_f1499d4cb3_b.jpg

37144355101_fd5f1bf98f_b.jpg

Is that a finished product in the jars? I asked because that seems to be a lot of headspace. I know you know what you're doing I just have never can meet before.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Is that a finished product in the jars? I asked because that seems to be a lot of headspace. I know you know what you're doing I just have never can meet before.

Pack to the neck. It shrinks during cooking. All the juice you see cooked out of the meat. No water added.

I can everything but the back straps. Its a lot of work up front but you don't risk freezer burn, and the taste is pretty good as well. Like everyone else said.......its best over a bed of rice with brown gravy.

swampstalker24

Thanks for the input guys, think ima start looking to purchase a pressure canner. Ive got two deer tags, 1 antelope, and one elk tag for wyoming this year. Even if i only fill two ima be hurting for freezer space. Plus id hate to see all that meat wasted if the freezer broke down on me or something!