Who's hunting with an "interesting" caliber this season?

GAHUNTER60

Still looking for someone to claim to hunt with a .401 WSL. How about a .303 Savage? An 8x56 Mannlicher-Schoenauer, or an 8x56R?

I once knew a guy who hunted with a Martini-Henry in 577-450 (also known as a .455 Boxer-Henry), loaded with black powder. He said the ballistics were very similar to the original .45-70 loads.

It's amazing how many different cartridges and bullets have been developed throughout history, mostly to kill our fellow men, but also to put meat on the table for the family.

pacecars

In the past I have successfully used: .40-50 SBN, 9x56mm Mannlicher-Schoenauer, 9.3x62mm, .303 Savage, .256 Win Mag, .45-70, .40-70 SBN, .375 H&H Mag, .32 Win Spcl., .44-40 Win, .30 Rem and probably a few others off the beaten path

I took a couple rifles to Maine last month on my bear hunt and used two; a Verney Carron double rifle in 9.3x74R and a SS Ruger Hawkeye in .35 Whelen. I'll use a couple others in Kentucky for deer, a Ruger #1 in 9.3x62 and a Marlin .444P.

Attachments

• 0415171415-1-2.jpg
    0415171415-1-2.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 195
  • 0727171520-1-2.jpg
    0727171520-1-2.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 194

pacecars

Never shot a deer with it but briefly had a .351 WSL

Michael F Sights

I guess most of my rifles are odd balls;
8mm Rem Mag ( Killed 2 - 130 + B & C GA Bucks w/ it, both on Nov 18th but 10 years apart) , 348 Win, 7x57, 6.5x55 Swede, 8x57 Mauser, 257 WHBY Mag, but I do own a 280 Rem & 308 Win.

I gave up years ago looking for ammo, just handload

GAHUNTER60

In the past I have successfully used: .40-50 SBN, 9x56mm Mannlicher-Schoenauer, 9.3x62mm, .303 Savage, .256 Win Mag, .45-70, .40-70 SBN, .375 H&H Mag, .32 Win Spcl., .44-40 Win, .30 Rem and probably a few others off the beaten path

I'm sorry to have to inform you that you have the same disease myself: nonconformatitis riflecaliberus.

The only cure is to take a game animal with every caliber rifle ever invented. (wait till you try to kill a deer with a .300 Rook or a .41 Rimfire).

GAHUNTER60

I guess most of my rifles are odd balls;
8mm Rem Mag ( Killed 2 - 130 + B & C GA Bucks w/ it, both on Nov 18th but 10 years apart) , 348 Win, 7x57, 6.5x55 Swede, 8x57 Mauser, 257 WHBY Mag, but I do own a 280 Rem & 308 Win.

I gave up years ago looking for ammo, just handload

I here that Goodwill will accept the .308 and .280 (so will I, for that matter).

pacecars

Crap, forgot the .348 Winchester

pacecars

I'm sorry to have to inform you that you have the same disease myself: nonconformatitis riflecaliberus.

The only cure is to take a game animal with every caliber rifle ever invented. (wait till you try to kill a deer with a .300 Rook or a .41 Rimfire).

Yep! My goal is to try them all! I did take my S&W Model 53 .22 Jet but none of the deer gave me a shot I would be comfortable taking

pacecars

I really NEED a .318 Accelerated Express

aabradley82

I bought 2 boxes for my 40-82 high wall(think the granddaddy of Nicodemus's rifle). Dern things wouldn't chamber. Put one in the drill press and filed the case till it fit. Scared to shoot it or I would take it at least once. 54 plains rifle goes in the morning.

35 Whelen

"Only accurate rifles are interesting" - Townsend Whelen

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
I took a couple rifles to Maine last month on my bear hunt and used two; a Verney Carron double rifle in 9.3x74R and a SS Ruger Hawkeye in .35 Whelen. I'll use a couple others in Kentucky for deer, a Ruger #1 in 9.3x62 and a Marlin .444P.

I will be hunting with my 444s. I love the .444...270gr Speer Gold Dot hammers them.

Attachments

• m444.jpg
    m444.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 184

GAHUNTER60

"Only accurate rifles are interesting" - Townsend Whelen

With all due respect to the inventor of the second greatest American big game cartridge, Col. Whelen was wrong when he made that statement. I own many rifles in ho hum calibers that shoot lights out, but none are as interesting as my Browning Safari Grade in 375 H&H that shoots 2" MOA, on a good day!

SakoL61R

Grandpa's 1924 Savage 99G takedown in .300 Savage. Sports a mid-50's Kollmorgen Bear Cub 4x scope and shoots 2 inch groups at 100 yds. Other than cleaning, I've done nothing to it. I punch factory 150 CoreLokts through the boiler room and deer are drt.

I thank the Lord and whisper,"Got another one Grandpa".
He smiles from above.

one hogman

With all due respect to the inventor of the second greatest American big game cartridge, Col. Whelen was wrong when he made that statement. I own many rifles in ho hum calibers that shoot lights out, but none are as interesting as my Browning Safari Grade in 375 H&H that shoots 2" MOA, on a good day!

Seriously?? I totally agree with Townsend on that one, I guess maybe it is a beautiful gun?? STILL, I had a Browning Abolt White Gold Medallion in .270 that had the best wood of any gun I had ever owned, beautiful gold inlayed receiver, but it wouldn't group inside of 2" at 100 yds, it got gone,:bounce:

GAHUNTER60

Seriously?? I totally agree with Townsend on that one, I guess maybe it is a beautiful gun?? STILL, I had a Browning Abolt White Gold Medallion in .270 that had the best wood of any gun I had ever owned, beautiful gold inlayed receiver, but it wouldn't group inside of 2" at 100 yds, it got gone,:bounce:

I had a similar experience with an A Bolt in '06. I replaced the melted Clorox bottle stock with a drop-in laminated stock from Boyd's, and it became a fairly descent shooting rifle.

When I said Col. Whelen was wrong, I wasn't saying that accurate rifles are not interesting. They are very interesting and I strive to make every rifle I own interesting that way.

My complaint is with the word "Only." By saying that, Col. Whelen discounts a whole bunch of classic oldies-but-goodies that may only shoot "minute of deer" but still possess a panache that lures wierdos like me into buying and hunting with them.

243SuperRC

6.5 Rem Mag in M673. Remington only made the M673 for a couple of years. I love the laminated stock.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    278.9 KB · Views: 223

pacecars

All guns are interesting! Might not hunt with some if they aren't accurate but I still want to try them all