Unbiased Opinion

ambush80

I could do this, but to what end? It would just be one point after another in an endless circular argument.

Like I said in my first post, your biases will not allow you to accept that the event could be based in truth. There is no use in me putting all that information out there to try and convince you.

If you have any interest in it, you will find the time to research it for yourself. I doubt that happening either, because of your biases.

No, this is not a cop out. I have presented this information to people for years, and my biases lead me to believe it is a dead end street and not a good use of my time.

I am, however, willing to listen to your arguments that Christ is not risen, after you have researched the subject and looked at the documentation.

Until we have completed the exercise I will assume that Jesus rose from the grave. Now what? How can I verify this belief?

ambush80

Until we have completed the exercise I will assume that Jesus rose from the grave. Now what? How can I verify this belief?

In order for me to even make this assumption there seem to be many other assumptions I would have to make. Is that OK?

First assumption is that it was possible. How do I prove that?

red neck richie

In order for me to even make this assumption there seem to be many other assumptions I would have to make. Is that OK?

First assumption is that it was possible. How do I prove that?

Eye witness testimony that you automatically discredit. No need in going any further. You believe the eye witness to be lying. I believe they are telling the truth.

matt79brown

You can't prove it. No more than you can prove evolution. It's a choice. Faith=substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

red neck richie

You can't prove it. No more than you can prove evolution. It's a choice. Faith=substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Not hoped for in all cases. But witnessed and discredited. There are no witnesses of evolution but there are witnesses of Jesus. It depends on what you accept as proof. Again up to the individual.

ambush80

Eye witness testimony that you automatically discredit. No need in going any further. You believe the eye witness to be lying. I believe they are telling the truth.

https://www.gotquestions.org/recognize-resurrected-Jesus.html

A third instance is when the two disciples on the road to Emmaus (Luke 24:13-35) did not recognize Jesus until He broke bread. How could these two disciples have walked, talked, and eaten with Jesus without recognizing Him? In this instance, it seems that they were supernaturally prevented from recognizing Jesus. Jesus perhaps had taken on a different appearance to keep Himself from being recognized. Why would Jesus have done this? The Bible does not say. Perhaps Jesus “veiled” His identity so the two disciples would truly think through the things Jesus was saying, rather than accepting the teaching blindly, as they likely would have if they had known it was Jesus.

Would you accept this explanation about anyone else?

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Paul, writing to the jews in Corinth, who had knowledge of the things that had happened, said that Christ rose from the dead, documented the event and told of eye witnesses that could be examined at that time by anyone doubting. The jews didn't investigate as far as we know, and they didn't protest as was their habit when they thought someone was trying to destroy judism. It seems that they accepted as fact what Paul spoke.

Yeah, but.... bias

1 Cor 15:3For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

4And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

5And that he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve:

6After that, he was seen of over five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain until now, but some are fallen asleep.

7After that, he was seen of James; then of all the apostles.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Acts 1... Luke writing to Theophilus, who had hired Luke to investigate the happening of that day, said there were infallible proofs that Jesus rose and walked among the jews of Jerusalem.

1 The former account I made, O Theophilus, of all that Jesus began both to do and teach, 2 until the day in which He was taken up, after He through the Holy Spirit had given commandments to the apostles whom He had chosen, 3 to whom He also presented Himself alive after His suffering by many infallible proofs, being seen by them during forty days and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God.

but.... bias

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
there are lots of documentation outside the Bible also.....

research it and come to your own conclusion...

ambush80

Paul, writing to the jews in Corinth, who had knowledge of the things that had happened, said that Christ rose from the dead, documented the event and told of eye witnesses that could be examined at that time by anyone doubting. The jews didn't investigate as far as we know, and they didn't protest as was their habit when they thought someone was trying to destroy judism. It seems that they accepted as fact what Paul spoke.

Yeah, but.... bias

1 Cor 15:3For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

4And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

5And that he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve:

6After that, he was seen of over five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain until now, but some are fallen asleep.

7After that, he was seen of James; then of all the apostles.

Acts 1... Luke writing to Theophilus, who had hired Luke to investigate the happening of that day, said there were infallible proofs that Jesus rose and walked among the jews of Jerusalem.

1 The former account I made, O Theophilus, of all that Jesus began both to do and teach, 2 until the day in which He was taken up, after He through the Holy Spirit had given commandments to the apostles whom He had chosen, 3 to whom He also presented Himself alive after His suffering by many infallible proofs, being seen by them during forty days and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God.

but.... bias

there are lots of documentation outside the Bible also.....

research it and come to your own conclusion...

Like I said. I will believe that Jesus was resurrected. I will now look to confirm or disconfirm this belief. The Bible has obvious problems as a source because of its self fulfilling nature. I will be more compelled by skeptical analysis.

The problem remains that I'm believing in something that goes against everything I know. What other thing in the word does one take that approach about?

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Like I said. I will believe that Jesus was resurrected.

The problem remains that I'm believing in something that goes against everything I know.

conflicting statements much?

matt79brown

Evidence That Demands A Verdict by Josh McDowel circa 1972 is a very interesting compilation of notes prepared for a lecture on "Christianity: Hoax or History?'' With 5000 man hours in digging up info by guys like Doug Wilder - Michigan State University, Phil Edwards- Ohio State University,Ron Lutjens- Bowling Green University, Wayne Trout- Virginia Polytechnic Institute, Brent Nelson- Indiana U, David Shelton-Ohio State, Frank Dickerson- Ohio State,Steve Smith- Virginia Poly, James Davis- Louisiana Polytechnic Institute, Linn Smith North Texas State University, Stick Ustick- Sacramento State University to name a few. Looks at the whole deal intellectually to see if there is enough hard evidence to support the claims. This was put together before the internet age. Resources are endless now. I would love to hear what you think after a couple of months of investigating the subject. Find your own. Some of the best stuff has been written by skeptics after they done a lil' digging into the past!

matt79brown

Lee Strobel was a died in the wool Atheist who set out to disprove the claims of Jesus coming back to life. He has some interesting reads on the subject as well.

ambush80

Lee Strobel was a died in the wool Atheist who set out to disprove the claims of Jesus coming back to life. He has some interesting reads on the subject as well.

I'm familiar with Strobel's story and if you are too then you will know that he wasn't compelled by evidence. He had a personal, undescribable revelation; God touched his heart, just like the rest of you.

How can that kind of experience ever be described as unbiased?

WaltL1

So virus mutation in a controlled experiment in a controlled laboratory proves evolution? Btw I don't disagree that things can evolve. Its a survival trait God given. More of an adaptation to survive conditions by the original created being though.
Btw I don't disagree that things can evolve
Things evolving = evolution.