New to Muzzleloading

Mattval

Hey yall I am a newbie. Been reading for info. Just recently ordered my 1st muzzleloading book. Anyway I am interested in a muzzleloading shotgun to hunt turkeys with. I am having a hard time finding info on muzzleloading shotguns. Any advise?
Keep in mind I am an experienced rifle hunter. Just new to black powder.
I just been reading about the Pedersonli classic side by side. This is something like I want. I lil expensive but doable.

Last edited:

Geezer Ray

Sorry I can't help with information on black powder shot guns. But, welcome to black powder and muzzleloaders anyway.

leoparddog

Any smooth bore musket can shoot shot and function as a turkey shotgun. Also it is legal to shoot them with BP rifle in GA as well.
"Shotguns with No. 2 or smaller shot and any muzzleloading firearm."

If you are just getting into muzzleloading, I'd recommend a .50 cal rifle which you can also use for deer. I'm inclined more towards the traditional guns and you should be able to find a Hawkens style .50 for a good price.

If you are just getting into BP rifles, Dixie Gun Works has been around about 70 years. You can pick up a nice Hawkens .50 that will take care of everything from Rabbit to Turkey, Deer and even Elk for under $450.
https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index...s+Hawken+Woodsman+Rifle+-+.50+Cal.+Percussion

If nothing else you should go surf their website. Their catalog was what got me first interested in Black Powder back in the 1970s

Last edited:

Mattval

Thank you for the information. I had know idea a rifle can be used as a shotgun. Just no choke...I am assuming that a BP shotgun has a choke.

leoparddog

A rifle can't be used "as a shotgun" for turkey hunting but you can use a muzzleloading rifle with regular bullet or patched round ball.
Not all BP shotguns have a choke, you'll want to check on that carefully.

ky55

Thank you for the information. I had know idea a rifle can be used as a shotgun. Just no choke...I am assuming that a BP shotgun has a choke.

Nope, not a rifle-a smoothbore.
Some of the BP shotguns have a screw-in choke system like modern shotguns, some are “jug” choked, and some barrels have standard constrictions.
Chokes give you a little added range, but they can make loading more difficult.

Mattval

Oh.

I have a lot to learn. Thanks

leoparddog

My next flintlock will be a smooth bore .62 caliber trade rifle