Best Umbrella Rig for Stripers

Klag

I absolutely kill small stripers (17-20 inch) on a Yumbrella 5 wire rig tipped with Captain Mack 1/4oz jigs with the white trailers trolled from my kayak.

I get from either Hammonds or Oakwood Bait and Tackle, depending what side of the lake I'm fishing that day.

brett30030

Capt Mack makes the most popular 4 arm rigs if you want something pre-rigged. White and chartreuse are the most popular colors. I'd go 3 oz this time of the year to get more depth. Spend some money on a retriever too, especially if your not used to pulling them.

I pull on 120# braid.

I prefer to rig my own so i can crimp mono leaders on the jigs vs wire and use horse head jigs with blades for extra vibration.

brett30030

I don't bother anymore. The jig will break off or it will turn the u-rig into a closed umbrella. You need to carry extra jigs and leaders.

Or you will blow-up you reel, crush a finger, or both.

I think i have lost 2 rigs and blown-up 2 reels in the last 5-6 years. Still cheaper then losing rigs. I fish a tx one time with a guy that lost 5 rigs in one morning on mono.

If your fishing the toona you can get by with a lot less, on lanier we are fishing in an underwater forest.