Maine Smallmouth

ryork

Just got back from a week in New England with the family, most of which was in Maine. Last Tuesday we fished with Grand Lake guide Randy Spencer and his assistant Susan in two Grand Laker Canoes on Tomah Creek. The scenery was unbelievable, the guides incredible, and we never saw another human being the entire day. And, the smallmouth cooperated!

Caught smallmouth and pickerel by throwing topwaters (mainly Devil's Horses) tight up against cover or behind current breaks. They fixed up a great shore lunch at a very remote hunting camp as well. Got to see a couple of moose taking a swim as an extra bonus!

Attachments

• TC 5.jpg
    TC 5.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 542
  • TC 2.jpg
    TC 2.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 546
  • TC 3.jpg
    TC 3.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 543
  • TC 6.jpg
    TC 6.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 544
  • TC 7.jpg
    TC 7.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 545
  • TC 8.jpg
    TC 8.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 543
  • TC 1.jpg
    TC 1.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 542
  • TC 4.jpg
    TC 4.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 543
  • TC 9.jpg
    TC 9.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 541

Trapnfish

Awesome pics! I am heading up to New Hampshire on Friday and will go fishing for smallmouth with my cousin and soon to e uncle while im there! I cant wait!

Mr Warren

Banned
Great pics and family trip. Glad you have discovered Maine too. It's a beautiful state no matter where you go in it.
Some of my fondest memories are of fishing trips to Maine's Penobscott river with my son, fishing for Smallies. We used Pop-rs and buzz baits over weed beds in the late summer. They flat tore em up!!!

Cletus T.

WOW.....sounds and looks like an awesome trip!!!

Congrats on the excellent adventure! Nice Smallies!

spkoli

Awesome pics! I am heading up to New Hampshire on Friday and will go fishing for smallmouth with my cousin and soon to e uncle while im there! I cant wait!

Where at in NH? I'm originally from there:)

The mtn man

Maine bass fishing is a hidden jewel for sure, I spent many days fishing the sebago area ponds and lakes, a day on the Penobscot was the only trip I can honestly say I caught a smallmouth literally every cast, ( no kidding).

ryork

a day on the Penobscot was the only trip I can honestly say I caught a smallmouth literally every cast, ( no kidding).

Yep, I went to the St.Croix in Maine near Calais a few years ago and stopped counting at 100 smallies in just a few hours. Was literally just taking different lures from tackle box to see if I could catch one on it. Assume it's a total lack of fishing pressure and seeing the same lures day after day.

The mtn man

Yep, I went to the St.Croix in Maine near Calais a few years ago and stopped counting at 100 smallies in just a few hours. Was literally just taking different lures from tackle box to see if I could catch one on it. Assume it's a total lack of fishing pressure and seeing the same lures day after day.

Yea, not many locals bass fish, most seem to take a trash fish attitude toward bass up there, it's all about brook trout, touge,(lakers) and salmon.

Mr Warren

Banned
Yea, not many locals bass fish, most seem to take a trash fish attitude toward bass up there, it's all about brook trout, touge,(lakers) and salmon.
It's true! I lived in New Hampshire for about 15 yrs. and heard lots of locals talking about how they catch and release any kind of Bass - they catch it, and release it on the bank behind them to rot. I have seen them do it. Different world up there.:huh:

ryork

Beautiful wooden canoes. Man - why can't I have a job like that?

Yep, they were gorgeous. The one in the first pic on the left side of my daughter was made by the lady in the green coat's father who was also a guide on the lake.

You can tell when someone really loves what they do, and both of those guides were the best I've ever been out with across the board.

hipster dufus

some brothers i grew up with have a place on Parker Pond. been up there a couple times for the smallie spawn. we caught a ton of fish and had a good time. great state Maine.was cold in June, u wouldnt go swimming.hope to go back when i retire.

spkoli

I'll quote my buddy who lives on Lake Winnipesaukee

"I'm just too lazy to bass fish, so I stick to Lakers and salmon"

LOL

when I get up there thi ssummer for two weeks, he's bass fishing;)