Popper , Prop , or Walker ?

kirby999

What's your favorite Topwater lure?
I'm leaning more toward the prop baits , because they seem to work even when there's a little chop on the water . My all time favorite would have to be the Tiny Torpedo .
i just picked up a couple Yo-Zuri 3db prop baits . Most I've ever spent on a fishing lure , but I think they are worth it, the baits are so nice . The hooks are sharp and the prop spins every time you move the bait ; I could use it for a buzzbait .
They did make me move up to 8# test and thinking of 10 :) , I'd hate to lose one . Kirby

Cletus T.

I’m a walking bait kind of guy but topwater fishing is my favorite way to catch them. If they would eat it all day I’d throw it all day!

Buzzjets
Jackell – Mikey’s
Ima-Rattlin Rombua’s

Those are my 3 favorite to use at the moment!

kirby999

I agree with the torpedo. If only they were able to be cast farther, and that could just be a failure on my part.

That's one of the reasons I went shopping for new prop baits . Restricted to bank fishing for a few weeks , I needed something that would give me some long casts to cover more and new territory .
Using a 7' ML Rod and. 2500 or 3000 series reel helped . It'll fling a T Torpedo , but the Yo Zuri zips out there . Kirby

StriperrHunterr

That's one of the reasons I went shopping for new prop baits . Restricted to bank fishing for a few weeks , I needed something that would give me some long casts to cover more and new territory .
Using a 7' ML Rod and. 2500 or 3000 series reel helped . It'll fling a T Torpedo , but the Yo Zuri zips out there . Kirby

That's about what I was using, and 6-8lb test.

Tmpr111

I get more numbers on the popper, bigger fish on the Buzzbaits and walkers. However as of late my fave has been the Spro Rat wake bait. And with it being so big, most fish have been over 4-5lbs. Vey exciting.

Cletus T.

I get more numbers on the popper, bigger fish on the Buzzbaits and walkers. However as of late my fave has been the Spro Rat wake bait. And with it being so big, most fish have been over 4-5lbs. Vey exciting.

Where do you throw that Rat bait? I’ve only thrown a Rat on one trip and it never even got sniffed. I was really surprised too as it was in a lake where there were “bigguns” and it was a real gnarly environment where you would think a rat would get drilled!!!

Coenen

I like walkers and wake-baits.

If I think I can get a topwater bite, I won't fish much else. There's nothing else quite like it.

StriperrHunterr

I like walkers and wake-baits.

If I think I can get a topwater bite, I won't fish much else. There's nothing else quite like it.

I like them for their castability, I like prop baits for their versatility and chatter. You can slow roll it in like a buzzbait, you can burn it in and have it create all sort of commotion, or you can twitch it with infinite variety.

You can do some things with walkers and wakes, but they miss that chattering ability.

Tmpr111

Where do you throw that Rat bait? I’ve only thrown a Rat on one trip and it never even got sniffed. I was really surprised too as it was in a lake where there were “bigguns” and it was a real gnarly environment where you would think a rat would get drilled!!!

It's definitely not a numbers bait for me, but my best luck has come first thing in the morning, late in the evenings and at night. And I actually throw it on 30lb braid since it's so big.

Oh and as to where, typically in local ponds (apartment ponds and such). I'm sure it would be great on the river as well.

jzFish

This is a hard one for me. I love them all. The pop-r has put up a lot of numbers for me over the years. I throw the zell pop a lot these days. The torpedo type baits are a good call in small ponds and creeks. But fishing lakes with spotted bass makes me want to throw a walking bait, my current weapon has been the River2Sea Rover. It is a big walking bait that calls them spots up. For big largemouth I throw a buzzbait. Some of my biggest bass have come off a 3/8 ounce buzz. I throw topwater about 9 months out of the year, sometimes when I shouldn't. I love it!

Silver Bullet

Chug Bugs, Spook Jr's/Skitterwalks, and Spro Frogs. I don't fish a bunch of shad lakes though...
SB

Gunner308

I'm a gunfish fan but rather than paying $20 for the lucky craft version, Academy Sports has their version for $6. And it walks the same.

Eugene Stinson

Since I work on planes, mine is a prop bait.

Scout'nStripers

Depends on the season. Right now I like a walking bait with loud rattles. The fish have been reacting to the rattles and the small wake the bait makes on the surface. If the fish follow last years pattern, as fall approaches the popper should be the better option as the fish will start reacting to the popping sound. I don't use a prop bait much.

Walking And Topwater Lures...

When you choose a Walking Topwater Lure, you want something that casts well and walks easily. The Yamamoto "Tate" walks great with a Palomar Knot. Try to choose the most effective color schemes.. (#1.) White, (#2.) Black, (#3.) Chartreuse, (#4.) Chrome/Pearlescent and (#5.) Bluegill with an Orange or Yellow Belly.... Use Popping and Walking Topwater Lures for Fall Topwater fishing. The Yamamoto "Shibuki" is a good Popping Lure for Largemouth Bass fishing.

It's hard to beat a super spook Jr., all around great bait. It's easy to walk and you can launch it a mile