Recreating History

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Several of us here are Living History Reenactors. Nice rifle on the link. I`m not sure what rifle Glass actually used. Might have been a Harper`s Ferry. I`ll have to research it.

SASS249

The accounts I have read suggest that Glass carried a rifle built by Jacob Anstadt from Kutztown, Penn. Also that the rifle barrel was only 36" in length. Anstadt was a Bucks county PA builder and you can find a few pictures of guns attributed to him around.
I also seem to remember tht one of Glass's main goals in hunting down the folks who left him was to get his rifle back

Nugefan

Them is some mighty purty guns ....

Darkhorse

From all I have read on Hugh Glass nobody really knows what kind of rifle he carried. I think the majority of experts think it was some kind of pennsylvania rifle.
The best novel I have read on Hugh Glass was; Lord Grizzly by Frederick Manfred. Lord Grizzly was one of a 5 volume set called "The buckskin man tales". All these books should be read by anyone interested in plains life of the early 1800's.
In "Lord Grizzly" Hugh Glass carried a Lancaster .58 caliber flintlock named "Old Bullthrower". This is what memory tells me as it's been a long time since I've read any of those novels.
As for Hugh Glass it is known that he lived. That he was mauled by a bear. And that he crawled 300 miles. Most of the rest was probably speculation by several varied writers.
I think it entirely possible that he carried a Penn. rifle of some kind and most likely a flintlock.

Muldoon

Darkhorse and others.....

yep....not much known about Hugh Glass cept his name and a bear chewed on him....and he crawled a few miles! Probably lots of bull thrown in with the tale as the years passed by as he wasn't a writing man! Maybe he crawled all those miles cuz he had a case of the RA at the situation or maybe just because he wanted that rifle back! I got a few I feel that way about myself!:flag::cheers:

Darkhorse

The main theme of all the tales of Hugh Glass was he just wanted his rifle back. So it must of been a good one.
But the director of the Revenant didn't like the revenge theme and probably wasn't a gun man either, so he dropped that out of his film.
That really hurt the film in my view.