45-70 government for primative weapons season

660griz

Some states allow muzzleloader rifles or 'black powder' handguns. Therefore, if you were shooting 45-70 with black powder, it doesn't have to be 70 grains :), out of a handgun, you would be legal.

SASS249

Not to continue beating a dead horse, but I talked to Major Todd Kennedy of the NC Wildlife Resources Commission today. He is with the law enforcement division and it turns out wrote much of the language in the rule.

He was very clear, that in North Carolina NO cartridge weapons can be used during blackpowder season regardless of when the weapon was manufactured.

They interpret the controlling language to be "with
a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system". Self contained cartridges are not a "similar type of ignition system" as far as they are concerned.

These are the folks who will be enforcing the law and the ones who wrote it, I would go with their interpretation. You might could argue that the language is ambiguous etc, but I would not count on winning that argument.

lampern

They are 100% wrong but it doesn't matter to me.

I don't own a cartridge gun made in or before 1898.

Last edited:

lampern

Final thought:

Look in the NC hunting regs digest and see what is says about "blackpowder" firearms.

The definition in the law is not printed in the regs book.

You have to search for it in the state code.

lampern

Louisiana too

Legal Gear

Legal Gear for Primitive Firearms Season includes:

Rifles or pistols, .44 caliber minimum, or shotguns 10 gauge or smaller, all of which must load exclusively from the muzzle, use black powder or approved substitute only, take ball, shot, or bullet projectile only, including saboted bullets. All of the above may be fitted with magnified scopes.
Single shot, breech loading rifles or pistols, .35 caliber or larger, having an exposed hammer that use metallic cartridges loaded either with black powder or modern smokeless powder. All of the above may be fitted with magnified scopes.
Single shot, breech loading shotguns, 10 gauge or smaller, having an exposed hammer, loaded with buckshot or rifled slug.

http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/hunting/deer/regulations

Lilly001

I would think that getting people into the woods as hunters, regardless of the name or regulations of the season, is a good thing.
Each state does it their own way. I am happy with the way Ga. does it.
I had differences with the way Fl. does it, so I hunt in Ga.

bronco611

may as well allow shotguns with slugs if you are allowed to use a 45-70. Better yet go golfing and let the woods stay primitive for at least 1 week.