skid row

Big Foot

My oldest longest buddy hit skid row several years ago, by way of drinking

great looks, great salesman, but just cannot give up or wont stop drinking

been a few years as I like most had to distance ourselves, found him called him - offered to help if he wanted to help himself...we had a honest long talk, not coming down on him, just a brutal truth honest if you want to turn it around let me know...maybe I can help etc

crickets

he's not done with the bottle yet I suppose, even after losing everyone and everything...he's 53 yo

will keep praying for him...

Johnny 71

Junebug
Sorry about your friend, hopefully he will find the strength to try, prayers sent

T-N-T

I guess I just can't fathom what is in ones head when this goes on. I have a great bit of mental strength and won't let things control me. I have habits, sure. Alcohol and chew and me are three amigos. But I will give myself a check and stop one for a week or month or so at a time. I just like them. I don't wish to give em up right now. But others can't control it.

Be there for your buddy. Not every day. But be in his head as a guy he can call to turned around.

sinclair1

Hate that foot. It's hard to get a hand on what causes this to happen to some. I was a super drunk in my corporate days, to the tune of 17 beers some nights and average 9.

I can honestly say, I was sharper, more ideas flowed and had more drive as a drunk than I do today. I also worked for some wealthy drunks that pounded just as many and still do to this day.

I have tried to find the secret, but it varies so much that there is not one way to stop. It depends on the person, his life, his goals, his outlook on life, so much that I often wonder if one small difference could have put me on the skids.

Sure hope your buddy finds the answer :flag:

Nugefan

Some people have to hit rock bottom before they can climb back up. Hope he makes it.

and some have to waller around in it for a while before they see the light , then some see it but never want to stop .....

Big Foot

Thanks guys!

Growing up and drinking with him over many years - was evident alcohol effected him differently and he had a certain look in his eye every time he drank- as in he was breathing again

What was fun then became an embarrassment to him and those around him His entire family has cut him off

He lives like a person who makes 20-50 cash a day figuring something out. Rides a bike no car etc.

Crazy. He was suppose to be a gazillionair

BeerThirty

Very sorry to hear. Hopefully you found some peace knowing that you threw yourself out there and tried to help.

I have a very dear friend who was an alcoholic in his younger days and thankfully he's sober now. This guy would literally would drink a case (24) of beer every night during the age of 21-25 or so. He was fun to be around, but he would eventually become very mean. He finally hit rock bottom when he was at the company Christmas party, got so wasted that he was hitting on his bosses wife. His boss fired him on the spot. My buddy then took off in a fury and didn't find out until the next day that he backed into someone else's car leaving and did some really bad damage. He had no clue. To this day he tells me he doesn't remember it and his worst fear is that it could have been a person. Losing your job and realizing what you could have done is one way to hit rock bottom and reconsider your actions. He has been totally sober for 7-yrs.

toyota4x4h

Booze is the worst drug of them all and its completely legal. I never met my grandpa bec of it (car crash)..and his son, my uncle nearly ended up like that many years ago but he survived..still cant hardly walk to this day. Maybe he can climb out of the pit before hes buried in it.

Rick Alexander

Don't give up completely

We've had this problem in my family here and there including my grandpa and father in law. Somehow the two of them - after MANY years of drinking - finally broke the darkness and returned to the living. My FIL will not even touch the stuff now and has become a completely different - very religious and good man. Sometimes it literally takes a miracle - often it comes from a pretty recognizable source.

Latest posts