Bass Pro Shops in Athens?

Jody Hawk

I heard over the Christmas holidays that BPS is coming to Athens behind Lowes in a new mall that they are breaking ground on. I can't find nothing about it on the internet. Have y'all heard anything on this? Could be just rumor.

Dr. Strangelove

I haven't heard anything, but it would make sense, location wise.

panfried0419

Makes no sense location wise. The one in Duluth is under an hr. away from here. I don't mind the drive. If anything a Cabelas would suffice. But even if it was built I'd still go to Academy and Franklins.

GoldDot40

Makes no sense location wise. The one in Duluth is under an hr. away from here. I don't mind the drive. If anything a Cabelas would suffice. But even if it was built I'd still go to Academy and Franklins.

I haven't heard any proposals about BPS coming to Athens either. I was just on the new parkway Thursday and the construction signs didn't say anything about a new BPS. Only mentions the new mall. Truth be known, that land doesn't quite look big enough to support the size of a BPS building and parking lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
i just live chatted them as soon as i saw this and the lady said there is one that they are building in emerson ga but none in athns ga but i wish there was one moving in that new shopping center the only thing i heard that was moving there is a movie theater and dicks sporting goods

Jody Hawk

i just live chatted them as soon as i saw this and the lady said there is one that they are building in emerson ga but none in athns ga but i wish there was one moving in that new shopping center the only thing i heard that was moving there is a movie theater and dicks sporting goods

Thanks. It was probably Dick's they were talking about but they told me BPS. :banginghe I sure would like to see BPS in Athens although my wife probably wouldn't. :D

panfried0419

Dicks Sporting Goods stinks. They are down the same path Sports Authority took. Sad that they were originally a mom and pop hunting and fishing store. Bunch of sell outs.

BornToHuntAndFish

Having more increased competition in Athens can only help drive down prices for consumers. I wonder when the DSG store is planning to open???

There's definitely no Athens, GA store listed in their news release annc'ts on the BPS web site like the Emerson, GA store is.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...051&langId=-1&appID=34&newsType=storeOpenings

Store Openings Outdoor Media Newsroom

Company News | Store Openings (listed below) | Racing News

December 21, 2012

Bass Pro Shops Announces New Outpost Store for Emerson, Georgia

Store Will Feature a 300-Acre Nature Park and Adjacent Product Testing/Education Area more...

::;

Last edited:

cowhornedspike

There is one going in to Tallahassee too but the devil is in the details. These are "outpost" stores and NOT full scale BPS stores...much smaller but hopefully still will have a decent inventory.

For comparison, the Macon store is 600,000 sq feet, but the new Emerson store is only going to be 1/6th the size at 100,000. The Tallahassee BPS store will only be 70,000.

Bargain Barn in Jasper is 40,000 and Sports Center in Perry is 77,000.

Last edited:

jonkayak

Living in Athens the last thing we need is a DSG. They will probably build one since they seem to pop up everywhere. I considered most of them worthless before they went all anti 2nd Amendment but now I'll never set foot in another one. I had heard and the developer was stating that he was bringing in stores that where from out of state and that it would turn the shopping center into a destination shopping Mecca. I guess he missed his mark.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Having more increased competition in Athens can only help drive down prices for consumers. I wonder when the DSG store is planning to open???

There's definitely no Athens, GA store listed in their news release annc'ts on the BPS web site like the Emerson, GA store is.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...051&langId=-1&appID=34&newsType=storeOpenings

Store Openings Outdoor Media Newsroom

Company News | Store Openings (listed below) | Racing News

December 21, 2012

Bass Pro Shops Announces New Outpost Store for Emerson, Georgia

Store Will Feature a 300-Acre Nature Park and Adjacent Product Testing/Education Area more...

::;

^^^^^^This::;::;::;::;::;

I Love going to Sugarloaf, but when the traffic is bad it is a days adventure...........to have one within 15 minutes would be EPIC!

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
My business will stay with franklins

hmm. I hear in the past they have had bad service and the prices run high. Are they making changes that would make someone want to shop there?

TroutBum95

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's a dicks. I can't stand that store. It's in the same category as academy. A bps would be real nice or a cabelas.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I heard over the Christmas holidays that BPS is coming to Athens behind Lowes in a new mall that they are breaking ground on. I can't find nothing about it on the internet. Have y'all heard anything on this? Could be just rumor.

Jody, It probably is just rumor at this point. There is also buzz around Athens that some of the larger stores at Ga. Square will move over there too.

To my knowledge the only retailer who has publicly confirmed their plan to be there is the theater. With the way they are working there Im sure there will be other announcements soon.