Buck and slime?

Thunder

Need some professional experience here. Being 51 years old, I have never shot a deer or hog with this......

My cousin just called and said he shot a buck yesterday am the had a little hole in his back. Seems like the buck was shot in the back with a small caliber bullet (22) and it traveled down through the chest and lodged in the front shoulder. He told me that when he was skinning it the GREEN SLIME came ouzing out of the wond and dripped down onto the other front shoulder. Said it smelled real bad. There was also a softball size "sack" of this nasty stuff. He kept the strap that was not afffected and the hams......

I told him that the deer probably had a fever and certainly had a bad infection. Had to be in his whole system. He said he needs the meat and will keep the hams. I would not based on the size and color of the green slime "infection".

Has anyone seen this before? Would you keep and eat it?

Thanks!

dj5play

Not A Chance

Nope, I would have to pass on the green stuff oozing out of the deer.

Public Land Prowler

sounds like infection...did it look like this?

IMG_0202.jpg

hotamighty

The first deer my son ever killed was like that. It had a small hole (about the size of a 22 bullet)in its hind quarter. We pulled the skin down and the whole back ham was green and smelled bad. As hard as it was to throw away his first deer, we did. Threw the whole deer away because like you mentioned we figured it had spread to its whole body.

naildrvr

i would throw the whole thing away!!! i used to skin deer at my friends cooler, and when we ran across something like this he would say throw it away. no way i would eat it and take a chance at my own health!!!

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
An infection like that is very likely systemic (circulating the blood stream). All of the meat should be discarded.

larpyn

if it smells bad don't eat it...... common sense.

swamphawg

I shot a big ol nine pointer couple years back that had been gored in the neck and had a pus pocket like your talking about the size of a soccer ball. I thought it was a tumor when I shot him. But turned out when we caped him out that thing was full of that green stuff (I assumed it was pus) and needless to say one of the boys had a moment of idiocy and popped that thing with the point of his knife. You talkin about six or seven grown men runnin and pukin all at the same time. That stuff shot out six feet or better. Nasty. We threw all the meat away though. No sense takin a risk on something like that.

Mako22

BANNED
Tiddybream on here killed an 8pt like that last year that had been hit by a car. One ham and part of the flank was full of slime, he threw the whole deer out.

crossbreed

if he needs meat that bad tell him I'll give him 3 1/4's I have killed a few deer this year and I can give him some meat just make sure he throws that deer away.

AnesMerc

DO NOT EAT! that deer. You would be taking a big risk. Ask around and get the guy some donated meat from here if he is really hurting that bad. Someone on these boards should be able to help him out in your area.

wack em

Throw it away, there are hundreds of other deer out there if he needs meat.

spaceman

pus pocket

I shot a 8 pointer today with a quart size pocket on the rear leg. Merritts Deer processing said throw it away. Blood carries it through entire body. Nasty green slime no way I'd eat it.

Jayrod

I'll make it unanimous...Throw it out...

Big Mike

Thunder, I'm in Polk county, less than 2 hours from Lutz. I'll gladly donate to the cause.