Ready for man-eating pythons in Georgia?

Backlasher82

As you may know, South Florida is infested with pythons and Florida just had it's first python hunt to try to stem the spread of the non-native invasive species.

The problem is that nobody has any idea of how many pythons are loose in the state and they are extremely hard to spot in the wild. Unless someone spots a 10-12 foot python in their carport or one happens to explode after eating an alligator, they are out of sight and out of mind.

Researchers estimate the number of pythons in the wild in Florida in the thousands, if not tens or hundreds of thousands.:hair:

However, they are becoming a real nuisance in Florida and are capable of reaching 25 feet in length and are known to feed on humans in their native countries.

As the snakes continue to migrate north scientists are concerned they are spreading into Georgia and the SE.

Scientists are conducting an experiment in SC at the Savannah River Ecology Lab to see how the Pythons will fare.

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/metro/stories/2009/06/24/pythons_georgia.html

Backlasher82

Yeah, no kidding, especially ones with no natural predators that can get 25 feet long!

I was in Florida last week and it was in the news down there about the snake hunt that had just started in the Everglades to try to eradicate the pythons that are taking over the 'Glades.

It sounded like they were doing some kind of quota hunt kind of like Georgia does for gators.

It sounded to me like they need to have an open season on pythons and pay a bounty for them!

A little bit on the snake hunt:

http://www.justnews.com/news/20088545/detail.html

Jeffriesw

Yeah, no kidding, especially ones with no natural predators that can get 25 feet long!

I was in Florida last week and it was in the news down there about the snake hunt that had just started in the Everglades to try to eradicate the pythons that are taking over the 'Glades.

It sounded like they were doing some kind of quota hunt kind of like Georgia does for gators.

It sounded to me like they need to have an open season on pythons and pay a bounty for them!
A little bit on the snake hunt:

http://www.justnews.com/news/20088545/detail.html

I agree, An open season all year with a bounty ought to help stem the tide, Probably never get them all but it will help.

I have often wondered why they let such invasice species in the US to start with.

South Florida is being over ran with all kinds of crap they have allowed in.

luv2drum

They let people bring the exotics in for zoos and shows, etc and they escaped, partly from poor keeping and partly from hurricanes and such. I just hope they stay in south Florida.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I`ll kill every one I come across.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
What you take for that runt puppy Nic ?

My boat, maybe...

My truck, possibly...

The farm, depends...

My single shot rifles, Tabor Blades, `hawks, pocketwatch, and that puppy....ain`t no way!!! :D

Rich Kaminski

Maybe those snakes will all just go down to South Beach, Miami, Florida. Now that woould be a hoot to see.

starvin

hadn't heard much from her lately..

Hey Girl, Watch out fer'em.