Best seed for poor soil?

Jasper

I have one foodplot that never does real well - hilltop where water runs off, lots of clay soil. I've limed it, but too late to do much good for this fall most likely. What's the best thing to plant that will do OK considering the situation?

Thanks!

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Trophy radishes.

20west

Blue Lupine. The deer will eat it, and it will condition the soil. Next spring plant the crud out of ironclay peas.

vsudoc

Banned
DO you have any way to break the ground up really good prior to planting? If so, plant Trophy Radishes, Oats and Yuchi arrowleaf clover. Then once the plants emerge Fertilize them with Bio Green Liquid Fertilizer!

Swamp Buggy

I have several areas like that. Try walker Creek Outdoors.com and get the Deer Ice cream. It will grow in poor soil and when it gets sweet the deer go crazy over it!!!

whchunter

Corn

Corn seed is hard to beat. You don't even have to turn it under in fact it grows deer right on top........:rofl:

Steyr

DO you have any way to break the ground up really good prior to planting? If so, plant Trophy Radishes, Oats and Yuchi arrowleaf clover. Then once the plants emerge Fertilize them with Bio Green Liquid Fertilizer!

My plot gets 6-7 hours of hard sun everyday. it is tilled and limed waiting on Sept 4 ( alamanac) Could the clover tollerate that much sun ? And where can u find Bio Green ?

Abbruzi rye, t. radishes, purple turnips for the plot. Giddy Up !

Gadget

Think that is one of the best mixes you can plant, have a few with that mix right now. Been planting Yuchi and Apache arrowleaf for 10yrs, extremely long growing season, will stay green and feed deer all the way to June or July, if you let it seed out and die in july you can turn in under in September and get a full stand without reseeding, when you turn it under just add in Oats and Trophy radishes.

wildlifepro

Banned
Plants are transfer agents for what we have in the soil. Have you done a complete soil analysis?If it clay and on a hill top. First do a soil test with macro,micro nutrient analysis.When tilling if its a hard pan(compacted) you will have to subsoil it and open it up aboit 16 inches, then till it extreemly well. This will help with allowing water to travel below surface and oxygenate the soil.You can use carbon to help break up the hard pan soil as well.Clay soils dont need much roller cultipacking when seed is sewn If it rains and dries hard the soil can crust over and plants wont emerge well. There are excellent combinations of seed to use in clay soils and getting the right fertilizer witha good manager addative like Avail, or nutrisphere N. For conditioners Use Hydroplot and for explosive growth and health try Forage Max. Plots are sort of like a puzzle . Ya got to get all the peices right and matching before you get a good picture.Hit us back if we can help.