Nikon P308 Scope

GregoryB.

Just put my new AR10 in 308 together and was looking at scope options and wondered if anyone had experience with this scope. I honestly will probably never shoot it over 300 yards.

wareagle700

What's your budget for scope and mount? Whats the intended use? Do you prefer exposed turrets or capped?

Last edited:

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
I have this scope for my 5.56 on my AR-15. Everything works accurately and has a forever no CensoredCensored warranty. I can not tell the difference between 3 power and 4.5 power, but the Bushnell gives you 18 power instead of 9 power like the Nikon. At 18 power I can see the bullet holes in the target at 100 yds. If you want more than 9 power and don't have it OH well. Mine is crystal clear from edge to edge of the lens. Also the Parallax adjustment is marked in yards and are very accurate as is the clicks for elevation.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/bushnel...1100003160019&_iv_code=BU-RS-ARDRPZ-AR945184B

These rings will put your eye in the center of the lens with a good cheek weld.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/s/nikon-308-bdc

http://www.opticsplanet.com/warne-m...tra-high-1-inch-tube-diameter-black-a430.html

gt40

PS: If you notice my scope looks very high, but if your scope is lower you can not get a good cheek weld.

Attachments

• 100 yd. group .JPG
    100 yd. group .JPG
    169.8 KB · Views: 210
  • WARNE ULTRA LIGHT QD RINGS  2.JPG
    WARNE ULTRA LIGHT QD RINGS 2.JPG
    359.1 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:

GregoryB.

The gun will be used for deer hunting woods to small openings and some plinking. I have no desire to sit at a bench and shoot paper all day so I don't need a 18 power scope. I was looking at the 4-12 power P 308. It's probably more scope power than I need. It will probably sit in the safe most of its life.

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
Well buy it. Good luck. When you get it post a picture of it.

gt40

Last edited:

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
It has served me well. Got mine on sale. Can't remember the price.

Dub

If you aren't planning on anything over 300yds then I'd get something with a simple crosshair that's highly visible in waning light....something with some stout posts that stand out.

Jester896

Senior Clown
it should be pretty accurate if you follow the load it was designed for. The M series is designed for 7.62x51 speed and I think a 168 gr bullet. I think the P is designed for .308 Win

lonewolf247

If your primary purpose for this scope is hunting, and your shots are less than 300 yards, I would put your money towards better glass and optical quality, and drop the idea of ballistic reticles. I think sighting in for MPBR, is a much better tool, than ballistic reticles, for shots under 300 yards. Sight in to maximize your distance, and aim "dead on" at your target.

Also, personally I prefer capped turrets on a hunting scope, because with exposed ones, there is always the chance of your turret getting bumped and brushed against things, and accidently getting moved and causing your point of impact to be changed.

As far as the Nikon scope, IMO there are much better choices to be had, for just a little bit more money. I don't want to come off sounding like I'm bashing a brand, but your asking for opinions, and I'm just being honest. I've owned 3 Nikon Prostaffs, and had problems with 2 of the 3, and ended up getting rid of both of them. My experience with the warranty and customer service was disappointing as well.

As far as the magnification, I love the 4-12X for the type of hunting I do. Otherwise, I would recommend 3-9X or 3.5-10X. I would buy a Leupold, Bushnell Elite, Vortex, or Meopta.

hayseed_theology

If your primary purpose for this scope is hunting, and your shots are less than 300 yards, I would put your money towards better glass and optical quality, and drop the idea of ballistic reticles. I think sighting in for MPBR, is a much better tool, than ballistic reticles, for shots under 300 yards. Sight in to maximize your distance, and aim "dead on" at your target.

Also, personally I prefer capped turrets on a hunting scope, because with exposed ones, there is always the chance of your turret getting bumped and brushed against things, and accidently getting moved and causing your point of impact to be changed.

As far as the Nikon scope, IMO there are much better choices to be had, for just a little bit more money. I don't want to come off sounding like I'm bashing a brand, but your asking for opinions, and I'm just being honest. I've owned 3 Nikon Prostaffs, and had problems with 2 of the 3, and ended up getting rid of both of them. My experience with the warranty and customer service was disappointing as well.

As far as the magnification, I love the 4-12X for the type of hunting I do. Otherwise, I would recommend 3-9X or 3.5-10X. I would buy a Leupold, Bushnell Elite, Vortex, or Meopta.

What he said.

GregoryB.

After consideration I am going to go with a basic cross hair scope. I wasn't excited about the dots and circles in the scope reticle for my wants and needs in a hunting scope. Maybe a nice 4-12 with good glass will work better for me. Thanks for the input. Now to search the net for a good deal.

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
Don't cross Bushnell scopes off your list. They have a warranty similar to Vortex. I used it once and they had my scope back to me in 7 days with no charge. Look at this one and check out the price. For about the same price as the Nikon you could get the Bushnell Banner and the Warne rings. A great deal.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/warne-m...tra-high-1-inch-tube-diameter-black-a430.html

gt40

PS: Every one of my Bushnell scopes are crystal clear from edge to edge of the lens and I have 5 of them. The one I have on my 30-06 BAR is a 3.5-10x45MM which is more than 30 years old + or -.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 10.49.37 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 10.49.37 PM.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 82
  • Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 11.04.51 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 11.04.51 PM.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 78
Last edited: