Deer Hunting in January

Curtis-UGA

To all to of you always saying deer season should start later and end later you have never deer hunted much in January. I hunted my Dads farm in Taylor Co. on the 13 &14 and it was awful! I saw one doe in 3 hunts. In October and November we see an average of 6. Now I know some of you are saying well the deer are still moving there is just not as many of them. There has been 1 buck and 3 does killed this season off of 2500 acres surrounding us. Only 2 people hunt the 2300 acres around us and they only shoot monster bucks my dad killed the 3 does. This is land that has produced 5 bucks over 140" in the past 3 years and one 165" deer in the 90's. My point this is excellent land that has a ton of deer and I hunted three hunts and saw one doe. You can have deer hunting in January. I'll trade you 1 day in October or November for the whole month of January! And for all of those always complaning about the heat in the early season deer still move then and move well. You just have to hunt to see them!

short stop

you say you hunted 3 times Jan 13-14 ''thats a day and a half of hunting '' and saw 1 doe in Jan then you say you have to hunt to see them in Oct ? I dont get it ? --- deer move in JAN too but you might have to hunt more than 1 weekend to see them . We've got big deer around too but it don't mean your going to see them everytime you leave the truck no matter how much land you got access too .
I hunted Jan 1st last day of season on a 600 ac farm and between 3 people on a farm we saw 30+ deer and thats not even counting the ones we saw on the way out after dark . I shot a nice doe with my bow .
I see deer in wheat / rye fields everywhere before dark on my way to work now . I saw over 100 in 1 field from the road Mon eve . Go figure

AthensMarine

Late season hunting....

Yes, late season can be a challenge...then again, that's why it's called "hunting" and not "killing".

hevishot

Banned
I hunt in Taylor county and see plenty of deer all the way up to the last day of the season. Might need to change you hunting a bit to adapt to the post rut patterns the deer establish.

Marlin_444

Right!

Yes, late season can be a challenge...then again, that's why it's called "hunting" and not "killing".

That's right! No shooting fish in a barrel during this time... Cause you gotta Hunt!

BOWHUNTER!

We are lucky enough to hunt in the extended season zone. I will tell you that the hunting is not wonderful but not terrible either. We are all quite burned out by now and having Jan open provides the opportunity to go if you need meat or are just bored and need something to do. All the coolers are closed which presents another problem. Still, we are seeing a lot of deer. You really have to refine your scouting skills.

Alan in GA

16 days left,,,,

and I'm going to hunt every opportunity that I can.
Hunting a farm 15 minutes from the house. Gonna stalk/walk some new land adjacent to the farm - got permission to hunt it too.

whchunter

Season Ends?

and I'm going to hunt every opportunity that I can.
Hunting a farm 15 minutes from the house. Gonna stalk/walk some new land adjacent to the farm - got permission to hunt it too.

When's the season end in Cobb or are you hunting elsewhere?

When is the last day in GA?

Curtis-UGA

I'm just saying there is no reason to extend the season and take more away from the small game hunters. Believe me I hunt hard and smart. I saw over 150 deer this year and 9 bucks at least 8 points. I killed one 8 point and one doe. But if you can't kill a enough deer in October, November and December you need to give it up or change land. I guess I'm just burnt out on this season. I'm glad its over and I can go bust some bunnies!!!

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
We were dead in Nov for the most part, again in Dec, then again in Jan. It's been the weather and too much food this past season. We always hear, cold makes em move. Well it got down 16 to 18 degrees for two days and we didn't see a deer. So much for that.
Our place stays covered with tracks, but they make most of em at night. A change of season dates would not be best for every region, but it would work here. Say, Oct thru Jan would work.

stev

Banned
Deer dont just disapear.There their you just aint in the right places.

Jim Baker

Staff member
We need to eliminate early bow and primitive weapons seasons. Have the seasons in the 0ct. 20 - Jan. 15 timeframe. No reason to give anyone a headstart, just starts the deer's education early.

Saw more deer n the last two weeks than any time early season! As many as 30 and up per sitting with as many as 10 bucks in one afternoon.Gotta luv a green field!!!!! And u need more than 3 hunts to judge the whole month of January

Hammack

Things were dead here during December compared to years past, but as of right now I have bucks chasing does hard right now in the second rut. I've always had better luck the last couple weeks of the season here than I did early.

Alan in GA

ends January 31st, 2008

ENDS WHEN?

All the counties in the 'regs' shown in white color around the Atlanta area. Cobb county is one of them that I hunt. Ends January 31st just like last year.
Great way to break in a new bow if I can get time away and the 'right weather'.

whchunter

season

All the counties in the 'regs' shown in white color around the Atlanta area. Cobb county is one of them that I hunt. Ends January 31st just like last year.
Great way to break in a new bow if I can get time away and the 'right weather'.

whats the reasoning for different season?