Lake Acworth

bslatton

aa4e2614.jpg

I caught this one a couple years ago. It seemed to be sick or have some kind of disease. Had a really nasty looking spot on the other side of it.

russ010

I caught this one a couple years ago. It seemed to be sick or have some kind of disease. Had a really nasty looking spot on the other side of it.

Depending on the time of year, those spots seem somewhat normal. I've caught 5-6 Largemouth and spots that had a nasty looking sore about the size of a silver dollar... I think there are a few threads on here recently discussing it.

Fishlipps Revisited

some of those marks are caused by these things.....lampreys....i've caught bass in the Etowah river with those things attached to them.....
Lamprey.png

Crappie

Pressure can't keep a lake from producing big fish, especially with today's C&R mentality.

There's a fundamental food chain problem on Acworth. Being the owner of Striper Soup B&T, I've been sampling the gizzard shad population out there quite a bit this year. In a healthy system, I will cast net all manner of species. In Acworth, I net as many or more 3-4" crappie as I do anything else, shad included. This MASSIVE population of stunted, starving crappie WILL decimate the freshly spawned fry of all species of fish in the lake. If the state would allow it, I can remove thousands of these fish which may have a positive effect on the reproduction of bass and bream.

There is a population of common carp in the lake. This is harmful to bedding fish like bass and bream. Another problem.

The freeze of '09 caused a 100% threadfin dieoff. Losing this amount of forage instantaneously will definitely hurt the predatory fish. Since then, I have confirmed knowledge of that shad population being reestablished...Give it a couple of years. :D

The gizzard shad population is VERY high. These fish aren't egg-eaters, but in high numbers, they inadvertently scour through fish beds and have a negative impact on reproduction. My removal of a portion of this population will help to improve natural reproduction, but the crappie issue still remains a HUGE problem.

Solutions:
-Stock F-1 and Florida strain lmb to quickly boost predator population in the lake.
-Continue removal of gizzard shad (I got that)
-Electrofish, or allow cast net removal of as many crappie as can possibly be removed.
-Wait for threadfin population to reestablish.

Acworth is a great lake and can grow big bass quickly with its abundance of forage. I believe the main problem being faced right now is unsuccessful reproduction.

Fishlipps Revisited

i really don't care to get into a debate, but, like i said.....i've watched and fished this lake just about longer than you've been alive....there are, and have been PLENTY of shad....

it falls right in a time line with other lakes that have seen a huge amount in tournament pressure....and, just because fish are released, doesn't mean they all survive....delayed mortality is a bigger issue than people think or realize...and, people dont' bring the 5 smallest fish to a weigh in....

if there is a reproduction issue, it's not from what you think.....the carp have been there as long as i've been fishing the lake....and, i don't think the gizzards are an issue, either....

sure, there are still some big fish in there, they can't ALL be caught, but, by crackey, the numbers can be reduced.....i don't have to THINK it....i've seen it and know it....

mtr3333

Banned
it wasn't always an electric only lake....it used to have a 10hp limit....and, you can still put a gasoline powered boat in there as long as you don't crank it....so, any and everybody can go there....

It didn't used to get near the pressure it does now....but, someone wanted his name in print, so they did an article on it in gon a few years back, and brother, that was all it took...

Plus, a couple of the jonboat trails hit it a few times a year....

I used to enjoy fishing down there when i didn't have a whole day to fish, but, now, i just avoid it...i went once this year and twice last year....and, i could tell a big difference..

I find it sorta ironic that gas motors aren't allowed, but, they have ski and wakeboard comeptitions down there...
yup!

In small systems, research has shown gizzards and carp will reduce reproduction. I tend to agree that this isn't the main cause of the reduction in quality and quantity of the bass in Acworth. That's why the title to my response was "Crappie." If you had any idea how many stunted crappie were in there, you would be astounded. I have pulled in net load after net load of them. What do they eat? Small fish of any specie. It's very obvious to me what the issue is. Recruitment of lmb is next to nothing. Has the lake's fish population been surveyed lately? It's obviously not properly managed.

Fishlipps Revisited

In small systems, research has shown gizzards and carp will reduce reproduction. I tend to agree that this isn't the main cause of the reduction in quality and quantity of the bass in Acworth. That's why the title to my response was "Crappie." If you had any idea how many stunted crappie were in there, you would be astounded. I have pulled in net load after net load of them. What do they eat? Small fish of any specie. It's very obvious to me what the issue is. Recruitment of lmb is next to nothing. Has the lake's fish population been surveyed lately? It's obviously not properly managed.

i hate to tell you this....but, the little, tiny crappie have been there for years and years, too.....i used to take my kids down there to catch them....and, my kids are grown now, with kids of their own.....and, there are a lot of HUGE crappie in the lake, too....

so, maybe it's not as obvious as you think...

the DNR does electro-fishing surveys down there once in a while, too....but, from the way i've seen them do their shock studies, and what they've told me, they don't get anywhere NEAR an accurate representation of what's in the lake...

again....i'm more familiar with that lake than most people....that is where i learned to fish....and, i've seen it so low that i've launched my boat into the creek channel, and even been able to motor into it from Allatoona.....and, seen it 90% frozen over....which, by the way, didn't seem to hurt the fishing one iota the next year... or, for years after...

but, i do know the 2 things have have made a HUGE difference....

Alan in GA

crappie in Acworth...

I was a bit amazed at how even 4"-6" crappie were hitting my large BASS lures such as full size spinnerbaits this spring. A friend was getting the same result, small crappie and large crappie hitting large bass lures!
I wonder if you could legally cast net crappie, and dump them over the spillway into Allatoona?
I've seen 3 to 4 lb crappie in Acworth! I weighed a 3.1 lb crappie {picture of friend on the lake} and have thought about 'hunting down' some of these larger crappie intentionally. Maybe Acworth is a trophy crappie lake in the making?!

Attachments

• Gregs 3.1 lb crappie.jpg
    Gregs 3.1 lb crappie.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 802
i hate to tell you this....but, the little, tiny crappie have been there for years and years, too.....i used to take my kids down there to catch them....and, my kids are grown now, with kids of their own.....and, there are a lot of HUGE crappie in the lake, too....

so, maybe it's not as obvious as you think...

the DNR does electro-fishing surveys down there once in a while, too....but, from the way i've seen them do their shock studies, and what they've told me, they don't get anywhere NEAR an accurate representation of what's in the lake...

again....i'm more familiar with that lake than most people....that is where i learned to fish....and, i've seen it so low that i've launched my boat into the creek channel, and even been able to motor into it from Allatoona.....and, seen it 90% frozen over....which, by the way, didn't seem to hurt the fishing one iota the next year... or, for years after...

but, i do know the 2 things have have made a HUGE difference....

So with all your wisdom, do you have a solution besides stop everybody from fishing the lake because that isn't going to happen. Without removing unwanted predators, there's only one way I know of to replenish the missing bass.

I understand you've been fishing THAT lake almost as long as I've been alive, but I have been fishing almost as long as I've been alive. I have a degree in fisheries, and work with people who manage ponds for bass.

The poor fishing may be a climactic cycle and it will return like lots of systems. There's always ebbs and flows in fish populations and the quality of a fishery based on broad weather patterns.

Fishlipps Revisited

So with all your wisdom, do you have a solution besides stop everybody from fishing the lake because that isn't going to happen. Without removing unwanted predators, there's only one way I know of to replenish the missing bass.

I understand you've been fishing THAT lake almost as long as I've been alive, but I have been fishing almost as long as I've been alive. I have a degree in fisheries, and work with people who manage ponds for bass.

The poor fishing may be a climactic cycle and it will return like lots of systems. There's always ebbs and flows in fish populations and the quality of a fishery based on broad weather patterns.

see?..now you're wanting to be facetious....but, since you think your degree supercedes all, there's really no point in my talking to you any further...and, i HAVE fished a few other lakes, too....

but, i find it odd that the shock surveys the DNR did there didn't reflect what was actually IN the lake, size-wise....but, hey, you've got the degree.....you figure it out...

Robert Eidson

GONetwork Member
well..i've fished it for 32 years, so i am somewhat familiar with it....

but, this is just a small sample of what i used to expect down there...even on half day trips....
219220Feb281990.jpg

360thru36203-25-98.jpg

April171996-1.jpg

March221995.jpg

but, you won't do that now..

I remember those days well. I think one morning we caught 5 that went between 7-11 lbs..... It use to be one of the best little lakes in the state...... Thanks for posting the pictures. I am going down to the basement and see if I can't find a few myself.....

crappie can be really bad for ponds. they're probably a factor. pressure doesn't help either. i think riding those fish around in a livewell for a weigh in or a multi fish photo op is worse then temporarily laying them on any kind of surface, just my two cents

Fishlipps Revisited

well...if that's aimed at me, look at the date on that pic....but, riding them around in a livewell in March really isnt' all that stressful to them....their metabolism is greatly reduced, and after being oxygenated for a few hours, they're often harder to catch in the livewell than they were in the lake....but, i haven't put a fish in the livewell in probably 3 years...they get weighed, photgraphed, and released in about 2 minutes flat....some of which is spent in the water...

but, yes.....riding them around in a livewell, especially with other big fish, ain't good for them...the summertime delayed mortality rate can be as high as 50%...

laying them on a dry surface compromises their slime coat...period....whether it's for 5 seconds, or 5 minutes...GEEZ!...for cryin' out loud....can you not just pour some water on a trash bag?....and, lay them on that?.......how hard can that be?

Jeff Raines

For awhile my grandparents lived on Ragsdale road,in the big house with the 2 huge oak trees in the yard.
I've been fishing this lake since the 70's.
When I wasn't fishing it,I was running thru the woods around it hunting squirrels with a pellet gun.
And I work on the back side of it now.

My point being, I have seen all the changes take place around this lake.
I'm betting the most detrimental change is all the silt that came in with all the building.Plus all the fertilizer from the golf course.

Fishlipps Revisited

For awhile my grandparents lived on Ragsdale road,in the big house with the 2 huge oak trees in the yard.
I've been fishing this lake since the 70's.
When I wasn't fishing it,I was running thru the woods around it hunting squirrels with a pellet gun.
And I work on the back side of it now.

My point being, I have seen all the changes take place around this lake.
I'm betting the most detrimental change is all the silt that came in with all the building.Plus all the fertilizer from the golf course.

then, our paths have probably crossed several times.....i used to use the ramp on the south side most of the time..

you're correct....the upper end of the lake is probably at least 1 foot or more shallower than it used to be.....and, i think i mentioned it in another thread, but 30 years ago, you could cross the upper end with your trolling motor all the way down, even idle across with your outboard.....you sure can't do that now....

and, i'm sure that the runoff from the golf course isn't beneficial...but, more folks with big bucks play golf than fish....so, there you go...

Jeff Raines

then, our paths have probably crossed several times.....i used to use the ramp on the south side most of the time..

you're correct....the upper end of the lake is probably at least 1 foot or more shallower than it used to be.....and, i think i mentioned it in another thread, but 30 years ago, you could cross the upper end with your trolling motor all the way down, even idle across with your outboard.....you sure can't do that now....

and, i'm sure that the runoff from the golf course isn't beneficial...but, more folks with big bucks play golf than fish....so, there you go...
Yeah I couldn't believe how much silt had washed in,dern carp bumping the bottom of my old jon boat..
I used to catch washtubs full of bream,1 cove over from the pavillion....I sure do miss them days.

I too use Acworth as a bait source often and can attest to the growing proliferation of small crappie.

Have the flatheads always been in there ?

I would think they would have made a dent in the crappie population,

maybe more large predators like a hybrid channel-blue cat or hybrid-striper can help get Acworth in balance.

Then maybe later down the road follow up with Large-mouth stockings.

Maybe a "new school" hybrid fishery will develop and be able to handle the changing waters/climate/fertility.

I sometimes feel that bass fishing has become to "NASCAR"ed
and I believe the future of Fishing will be for larger predators.

I occasionally Bass,Crappie or Trout fish for some diversity but,
Cats,Carp & Hybrid/Striper or even Gar offer a lot more fight.

Large-mouth may have been native but they evidently can't survive the changes in water quality ,pressure from fishing or competition from spots, time to accept evolution and try something else in Acworth.

Amusingly,my largemouth catches on Allatoona have been increasing yearly, and this year has been really good so far.

Maybe a few crappie tournaments and fish-fry's are necessary.

Here is the 62lb caught by DNR

Attachments

• lake-acworth-fishing- mark bowen dnr 62lb flathead 5-9-08.jpg
    lake-acworth-fishing- mark bowen dnr 62lb flathead 5-9-08.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 616
  • acworth-beach1.jpg
    acworth-beach1.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 646

Fishlipps Revisited

the flatheads have been there as long as i've been fishing the lake.....just a couple...
30lb16lbs.jpg

at one time, there were a lot of white bass in there as well...but, i haven't seen any of those in a LONG time.

as for your increasing largemouth catches on Allatoona, i believe that the tree cutting program is paying dividends....the fry now have some place to hide, where as before, once they hatched, they were totally unprotected....

brushdawg

we fish johnboat tourneys thier and its a struggle out of 14or15 boats you would be lucky to see a 4pounder after 8hrs. of hard fishing