Any ideas????

Cmp1

BANNED
For some reason our yardbirds have stopped laying,,,, any thoughts from you guys or gal's? Didn't have a problem last year,,,, 2yr old birds,,,, Brahmas,,,,

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
It's wintertime? Mine always quit laying about this time of year.

Lilly001

Leave a light on for a couple hours at dusk.
That's what I used to do when I had yardbirds.

T-N-T

Move them and keep a light on a timer

But does anyone know if a chicken "needs" down time?

Cmp1

BANNED
Thanks everyone,,,, I'm going to try the light this afternoon,,,, might try and set something up in the barn tomorrow,,,, going to be 42 degrees tomorrow,,,,

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Put them in the barn with a light on at night and they should continue to lay. For a year or two we put a light on em at night in the winter, but stopped that practice. Everything needs rest, and even in the winter we get enough eggs to get by.

Cmp1

BANNED
Thanks Nic,,,, they just stopped abruptly about a week ago,,,, maybe they do just need some rest,,,, they're cold Hardy birds and they are big,,,,huge eggs,,,,

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
I haven't got an egg from 4 hens in a couple months. Seems like they are continuously molting. They are 3-4 years old. We've had a bad year with predators. Every time I make the chicken run impenetrable something finds its way in. I do have 4 young hens that should start laying soon. Didn't mean to high jack this thread

Fishmonkey

Chickens stop laying when the days get shorter. It's their nature, if they laid eggs and hatched chicks in the winter they probably wouldn't survive (same for wild birds like quail, pheasant, etc.) As others have said, you can trick them by introducing artificial light.

Cmp1

BANNED
I haven't got an egg from 4 hens in a couple months. Seems like they are continuously molting. They are 3-4 years old. We've had a bad year with predators. Every time I make the chicken run impenetrable something finds its way in. I do have 4 young hens that should start laying soon. Didn't mean to high jack this thread

You didn't hijack the thread,,,,

Cmp1

BANNED
They're in a coop now but no electricity to it,,,, have electric in the barn,,,, will try and build a pen in the barn and leave a light on,,,, should I leave it on just before dusk?

bullfrog79

after having the exact thing happening to my chickens, i put a light in the pen (advice i got here). i picked up a "smart outlet" from amazon for about 12 bucks. its basically a digital clock with programmable time settings. i have it come on at 5pm and remain on until 10pm. the last few days i've had 3 eggs a day, out of 11 hens, where i was only getting maybe 1. going to keep tracking production.

NOYDB

BANNED
They're in a coop now but no electricity to it,,,, have electric in the barn,,,, will try and build a pen in the barn and leave a light on,,,, should I leave it on just before dusk?

Possibility.

Install a solar light and put it on a timer like Bullfrog's example. Sun in winter should charge up batts enough to run that much.

Their internal clocks are being set by the sun. Supplement the light and reset their clocks.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Chickens start laying when they have 14 hours of light and reach their maximum potential at 16 hours. Keep a light on them for at least 16 hours a day. They do need rest at some point though.

Lilly001

I had the same problem until I set a series of traps on a fence row leading from a creek to my pens.
Best producing traps I ever set.